Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Is " Pyrodex" Pistol Power Any Good ?

karlunity

Fellas.

I cannot get any more GOEX even Graf and son is out.

Now Graf and Son do make an "in-house" BP before I order some on the net.

I was thinking of getting some Pyrodex pistol power at the local store.

Is Pyrodex pistol power any good? That is how does it compare to "GOEX"?

For that matter has anyone used the Graf and son "in-house" BP,

if so how does it compare to GOEX?

Thanks

Karl

I wouldn't use it. Here is where I ordered my case of black powder, which was delivered to my door step: black powder

I don't think you have to order a case of it. There's also Maine Black Powder House.

Note from Powder Inc. If you can't get the Goex, buy the KIK or Swiss.

December 15, 2007 - Price increase coming. We will have a price increase on Goex blackpowder and possibly other powders and ammunition, effective January 31, 2007.

Shortages. As many of you know, Goex has been out of production the last four months because of a fire. We are seeing shortages of some powders at this time.

There may be some delays in shipping orders, due to powder shortages.

Regardless of delays or ship dates, we will honor the 2007 prices on all orders placed before 1/31/07.

Karl,I've never had any problems with Pyrodex and is what I prefer because of the less fouling compared to BP.Use HotShot nipples and the German looking name primers(aint EVEN going to try and spell the name)and you'll do just fine.Jerry

My BP know how is pretty limited Karl but I've used Pyrodex in .44 revolvers and had very good luck to my way of thinking.Accuracy was very good and seemed to have plenty of power,I killed a couple deer.Neck shot them both at about 20-30 yds and neither took another step.This was nearly 25 years ago so....

Jim

Well the local store was out of Pyrodex, so I called Graf and son and they were out of GOEX!

The nice lady told me about the Graf and son "house brand" black powder and I had read that it was a German brew that they Graf and son package so I ordered 3 cans.

Thank again guys.

karl