Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Walter Reed Scandal

FC

That is absolutely disgraceful. Brings to mind images from the hospital scenes from the movie "Born on the 4th of July". Is this another example of history repeating itself? Those brave men and women deserve the best this country has to offer and they obviously are not getting it. Not even close. Is there anything the common citizen can do? Steve

With some exceptions (and I have high regard for some of the military doctors and nurses) I have found in my short stay in the military that military hospitals are to be avoided if one has the choice.

mrs fritz absolutely refused to go to the base hospitals, and she was an RN in civilian employ. So we had a choice.

It is a fact that many have no choice, with financial considerstions taken into the situation, and they are forced to either use a military hospital or do without. I have heard some retired military personnel say that they do not need to use a private doctor, because there are the best doctors in the country in the VA hospital.

Maybe so, but they probably have to wait for weeks or months to be able to see one.

I mean this not as a condemnation of military doctors, but of the system in which they work. Hell, it ain't much different than other forms of government assistance. It is right and proper to feel that the government should give the military men and women the best of health care.

My concern is--is it happening? Obviously not at that Walter Reed facility.

fritz

Considerable howling will put an end to this. The hospital commander yesterday mentioned this event, and I knew nothing about it. It's a major embarassment, and I wouldn't be surprised if some heads roll over this one.

When I worked the floor a few years back I remember someone who could barely walk given a second floor barracks room. Stupid. Also, he had to use crutches to go eat, and that was a bit of a walk. Things are better now, as far as I know. I think we have ok quarters here at Ft. Hood. Rough Rider village is across the road from the hospital, and the trailers look pretty good. I haven't heard of problems here or at San Antonio.

To end it- my wife says there's room at the White House, and I'm sure there's room in the lovely homes of the senators and congressmen (lead by example, well, fat chance of any politicians taking them in). They could be sent out to other Army Medical Centers, if they need that kind of care, or sent to smaller forts and bases if less critical. Military families could take them in too, and help them get to their appointments. It's the least we can do. It's also obvious more, and maybe better case managers are needed, as well as social workers and military leadership to oversee the process.

What it truely disgraceful is using patients as platoon sergeants. A platoon sergeant should know EVERYTHING about the system that his troops are in. There is no way an Engineer or Infantry E6 or E7 can master the steep learning curve fast enough to be an effective platoon sergeant before they themselves are discharged from the system.

Activating some E7 and E8's from the Army Reserve to act as platoon sergeants for these soldiers, to handle their issues without having issues themselves, would be a real step in the right direction. Our boys and girls deserve better.

Jimro