Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pick-up Bed Liner On Plastic Stock

AzRednek

I was at a classic car and monster truck show and in the vendor area I saw an old Mauser stock that had been coated with bed liner. Didn't look to bad, felt durable but the price seemed a bit steep, 50-75 bux. I thought it might give a little pizazz to a ho-hum Stevens plastic stock. Has anybody tried coating a stock with the spray cans available from auto parts stores and care to comment on it?? Is there anything one should do to prepare the plastic surface??

when i painted my B&C, i wiped it down good with TSP, trisodiumphosphate. paint seems to stick ok (regular old krylon). bedliner stuff should stick better.

I don't see why it wouldn't work if you could get it to stick to the stock. If I did it, it would probably look like hell when I was done, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

I used a brand that the wife picked up at wally world for me. The stock was an old Columbian mauser stock that had been sporterized and needed some repairs. I spliced the wood together with some strong glue joints, wrapped the outside of the stock with fiberglass cloth which was epoxied to the wood with MAS brand 2 part marine epoxy. This stuff was left over from a wood strip canoe project. After this, I sanded any rough edges on the fiberglass then sprayed on the liner.

What I learned is that I get too excited and hurry a project. If you go with light coats and allow sufficient time you won't have sags. It's durable and looks synthetic. It was a quick way to make a fairly ugly looking wood stock uniform. I had one sagging point that I believe would sand out and cover with another coat. I believe that that is an advantage. You can quickly touch-up the stock by adding a thin coat.

I'm not sure how it would stick on plastic. I'd use something to strip oils from the surface before painting. The texture of the plastic, depending on the manufacturer, might need a bit of roughing up with sandpaper to give the liner something to bite.

Post pics if you give it a try.

lc

THX!! for the comments guys, keep'em coming. I have the same confidence problem as Roscoe, I'm afraid I'll some how screw it up. LC, any chance you have any pics of the one you did and do you know the brand name of kind you used?? A neighbor and friend tells me the brush on type is better and thicker but I'm afraid brush marks might make it look half-assed. I probably wont start for a few weeks. The weatherman is predicting triple digits beginning next week. My free time hopefully will be spent shooting before I give it up till fall.

AzR: My dad had a pretty plain ford van that he decided could be a field ready service vehicle... [note that this field is a Farm] On the inside [behind the drivers compartment] he had the entire interior "rhino lined" .. Now I do not recall the "name brand" but you know the stuff, If not I can easily ask!!! Anyway the bottom line is that it stuck to virtually every part of that interior!!! Seems impervious to wear/tear/chemicals/fuel/general abuse!!!! I suspect that it would make a serviceable stock impervious, as well as easily hiding any "uglies"!!! But... I ain't put any on a stock.... Yet! MV

Here are two pics. The first is how I patched the stock. It also shows the fiberglass wrap which was done for strength but not really needed.

The second shows the finished product.

439099.jpg

439131.jpg

lc

Az, Not sure on the brand name. Not even sure where the can is now. There was plenty left over though.

There was an article a few years ago in a gun magazine about using trunk paint on plastic stocks. But it also mentioned that it could be used on wood stocks as well.

The secret was to roughen up the surface of the plastic stock (as we do to use Acra-Glas bedding). Then prime with a body shop primer, either grey, black, or red (depending on how you wanted the finish color to look). Then apply the trunk paint (either the grey or the black), let dry and then seal with several coats of clear poly.

I did several stocks, all wood ones, and I must stress the importance of drying well. In humid areas, this could take forever (like drying hay). If well dried it should be durable, but expect some to wear off in hard use. I have used the stuff from WalMart called "Fleckstone" and it seems more durable than trunk paint. Never tried bed liner.

Here is an old Mauser stock I used the trunk paint on--

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/0603/fritz/099.jpg

fritz

Thanks for the pictures and advise. I like the look of the Fleckstone paint. I'm going to practice with a junker stock. I also have a totally useless non-working single shot shotgun and might try it on the metal as well. Wont have any trouble with things drying out, it hit 105 today.

I've been trying to make some spare time but just haven't seen any breathing room. I'll probably start the project as soon as the heat limits any outdoor activity. My son is an Amazon merchant and I've been helping him squeeze as many orders out before the postage increase tomorrow. I'm so burned out looking at CD's, their bar codes and a computer screen I'm ready to settle down to some tv, beer and being lazy.