Military Firearm Restoration Corner

7mm mauser barrel

spec4 e4

I have an new military step down barrel in 7mm mauser and I have two questions. First. What country is this barrel from? 19-1/2" long. 2nd. Will 257 Roberts will clean up the chamber of an 7 mm Mauser? I see that the case is long on the 7mm mauser but the other lenght is long on 257 Roberts.

Thanks

spec.4

I have several of them on sporterized large ring mausers. I got them for around $25 from RSI years ago.

I like how "my friend" describes them in his Guide catalog--"A whopping 19 1/2" long".

While that ain't long, it does make for a great carbine. Anybody read the latest issue of Guns Magazine? It has an article on the Mitchell's M63 Tanker carbine.

Now that thing only has a 17.4" barrel in 8x57 cal. A real flame thrower. But supposed to be handy to shoot like the 1894 Win.

Made new (supposedly) by Zastava in Yugoslavia. Only $495.

fritz

Don't know if Richards will mill for the military channel. Most likely they could mill out the chamber area and leave the channel so you can custom fit it - but I may be wrong. They need to know that these were early style barrels( used a small diameter rear sight base), plus the distance between steps.

I believe someone posted long ago that these barrels were made by FN as replacements for the M1922 Carbine/Brazil. I bought one from RSI 11 years ago and built a sporter using a scrubbed 1909 Argy receiver. It is sweet handling and very accurate. Likes 154 grain bullets.

I traded for one last year and kinda have it installed on the action I planned the project for. The step is very different on the barrel than any other Mauser barrel I have yet encountered so I plan to buy a stock that has the action inletted and a 1/2" starter channel cut in for the barrel and do the rest myself. Eventually, this will end up as the Mannlicher I started last year for my Dad. All I need now is the money to finish it...

Jason

Well I payed Garry at the guide twice what I should have because he said that it was

"stainless". Silly me I thought he meant 'stailess steel' but it was just in the white.

If I build a gun with mine rather than sell it ( doubtfull I could break even), I was

thinking that I'd taper it to look like a sporting barrel rather than a mil. barrel.

I bought one of the 19 1/2'' 7x57 barrels on ebay about a year ago for 25.00,and it's new,no matter how old it may be.The thing is coated with what looks like varnish.Like Jason said,the steps are in different places than regular Mausers,so I thought I'd get a Mossy Oak Corelite stock and try and figure out what kinda of dye to use in Accra Glass to turn it sort of greenish color,and then Parkerize the metal as close to A3-03 green as I can.Nikon has their 3x9 Buckmaster scope in camo for 169.00 at Cheaper Than Schitt.Maybe I'll get a black synthetic stock,fit the barrel,and use black glass bedding to fill the gaps.I don't have one gun that I wouldn't mind it getting wet if I get caught in a rain.Jerry

I am planning on using an receiver that I crack and rewelded back together after I have it reheat treated. I plan on using an Richard's 2nd stock and go from there. I have drill and tap 12 receiver with one drill and tape. I got very lucky that it do not brake. When I feel it bind in the drill hole I back it out, clean, and reoil. Also taking you time is very important too.

spec.4

The barrel belong to an 1922 Brazil carbine. Barrel length is 19.63 in the 7X57mm, 4 groove, r/hand twist. Inported from FN, unknow numbers of purchased of rifles during 1922-1924 which was used for artillery and cavalry troops. Based on the 98 action is the reason for the LR threads.

Hope this help other when ordering stock from Richards.

spec.4 biggrin.gif