Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Centerfire Systems Nagant question

Horsefly

They have 91/30 Nagant barreled receivers,cut to carbine length 5 for 29.97,10 for 49.97

Remington marked 91/30 barreled receivers,cut to carbine length,14.97

Hexagon 91/30 barreled receivers cut to carbine length,5 for 39.97 10 for 59.97

If the barrels are at least 20'',would it be a crapshoot to order 5,order a bolt from gunbroker or ebay,and hope one would headspace?Never mind.I just realized it would be a miracle to headspace good,and be a good bore too.A bolt,minimum of 20 bucks,triggerguard maybe another 20,and then 20 bucks for other little parts,nope,I'd have over 100.00 in a gun with a chopped barrel and no stock. Jerry

I think it would be neat to answer ''why it's a Remington sir'' when asked by the rifle range aristocracy ''what the heck is that thing?''. Most haven't a clue that Mosin Nagants were actually issued to our own military personel.

Maybe it's just me, but I would like to have one Mosin Nagant stamped with a Remington logo. If it was rebarreled, took 308 dia. bullets and shot very accurately, that would be fine too. Then I would say I had to replace the Remington barrel because I wanted more accuracy. A Finned trigger or equivelent, a receiver mounted peep sight, ghost ring or side mounted scope mount so the Remington logo was still visible......now that would be the berries........Mike

Dear Horsefly,

I think that you are not looking at the odds quite right on headspacing.

First the 7.62 Russian Rimmed cartridge is "rimmed." That means that it "headspaces" on the rim as opposed to the shoulder or a magnum belt at the base of the case.

It is also a military rifle. That means that the chamber has been cut very generous so that when the peasant soldier crams some muddy ammo into the bolt action that thing will still shoot.

One of the problems I face when I reload for military rifles is extreme working of the brass when I do full length resizing.

I don't think that you will have much if any problem with a different bolt headspacing.

In fact I have read stories (don't know how true) that after a battle Russian soldiers would take out their bolts and drop them in a barrel of gasoline and oil for cleaning and then fish out any old bolt and plop that in their rifle.

Again, the key to the MN is that it headspaces on the rim. Remember these are battle rifles and not precsions swiss watches.

If you are nervious about headspacing, you can do the scotch tape trick. It is on the web somewhere. place a cartridge in you bolted reciever, if it closes you know that your bolt isn't too long. Take the cartridge out (preferably one that has been fired & resized or has no primer) and place layers of scotch tape cut in little patches over the rear of the case so that it extends the distance between the face of the bolt and the leading edge of the rim (it works with shoulder headspacing as well) and try to close the bolt. At the point that you have difficulty closing the bolt, stop and pull the tape off and measure the thickness with a caliper.

Headspacing on a case shoulder is a whole different matter as you don't want the rear end of your cartridge unsupported and splitting during firing. Many rifles don't vent hot gas in the right places from the perspective of the shooter.

Guest I bought some of these

Several months ago I got some and they were fine. They dropped the price to the one you mention so I order some more, got them last week. They are rusted inside and outside, I called and asked don't you think you should have mentioned this? I was told they were getting down to the last few and the worst ones, the good ones went first. They did offer a refund but I will keep them as I may be able to clean up the hex receivers and do a swap out with a round M44.

Several months ago I got some and they were fine. They dropped the price to the one you mention so I order some more, got them last week. They are rusted inside and outside, I called and asked don't you think you should have mentioned this?  I was told they were getting down to the last few and the worst ones, the good ones went first.  They did offer a refund but I will keep them as I may be able to clean up the hex receivers and do a swap out with a round M44.

2460[/snapback]

AIM has 91/30's for $59.95. You could buy one of these and have all the parts you need. Then get the Remington action and have less than $100 into it.

I swapped bolts in a repro 91/30 sniper and brought it to a gunsmith after to have the headspaced checked. He didn't come right out and say it, but implied that because of the way they where made bolts could be changed around with no problem. The way I look at it is for $20 I'll have it checked.