Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turk And A Vise

peanut

First of all, thank you all for the great information on this site. Learning from books, lacks the practical application, and this site helped fill the gaps.

This is my first attempt at both. The gun vise was a couple of evenings project. Works great and is as steady as a rock. Inch and a half treated plywood base and Poplar trim and support, F1 felt was used on the jaws and support. All of the wood was scrap that I had gathering dust.

The Turk has been in the works for many months. It took quite some time to find a very good barrel. It looks to be in stock military configuration, however, it is fully floated top and bottom, bedded, steel pillar, machined, and Duracoated. I also added some wood in the grip area. The stock and inletting was crude at best. I over cut all of the inletting, and bedded the action, and first two and a half inches of the barrel in Devcon. The cleaning rod passage was also filled with liquid Devcon. I could have refined the exterior of the stock more, but I wanted to keep the utility/military look.

I do not know how it shoots yet, I need to research, and work up some loads. The rifle feeds and cycles dummy rounds flawlessly. Super Sniper scope, Leupold base and 30mm rings. It was a great learing experience, and I am already starting (it's the bare Turk stock in the vise with the 1 1/4" barrel inletting) on the next project. Please feel free to give your honest opinion, good or bad.

The vise part of the gun vise is and inexpensive (14.99) HF vise. It was yellow, a really weird yellow.

Here is a link to the photos. Some of the photos are a little fuzzy. Also included a couple photos of my work area (garage, wifes parking spot). <_<

http://s158.photobucket.com/albums/t88/Hugh98/

Thanks again,

Hugh

Looks good.

That is a great looking old South Bend in the corner! Where is the door for the motor cabinet?

Clemson

(By the way, you can get tossed out of the Mauser Remodelers Society for keeping a work area that neat. Throw some stuff on the floor, spill some Dykem on the bench, and fling a handfull of tools about just in case one of the Society Snoops comes to visit.)

!!!! DITTO!!!! to what clemson said about too clean . Just ain't a respectable shop less there's clean up to do. Need any scrap wrenches to toss? I got plenty. Dave Oh yeh, nice work, keep it up.

Hugh , thx for the picture show. Needless to say I'm impressed!! I have an impatient personality and have trouble keeping ongoing projects like your's on going without losing interest at the first stumbling block. I've got a 257 Roberts project sitting over 2 years awaiting the find of some mis-placed parts.

When I see something like you project, it gives me a good reminder of the patience I had in my 20 & 30's when I used to rebuild engines, auto transmisions and put together a few rifle projects over periods of weeks. It appears as though you painstakenly put your's together along with the cradle over a period of numerous hours, good job!!

Hello All,

Thanks for all the comments! It's not that I am too neat, just do not have enough stuff yet! This is our first house.

Clemson, I got the lathe as a pile, and there was gobs of stuff missing. I am still looking for a door, but I do not think it is going to happen any time soon. Thought about making one. I need a welding machine. I'll have to put it on the wish list for now. I'd rather have a 4 jaw chuck, and a steady rest, maybe a quick change tool post. Which reminds me that I have an extra compound for a Heavy 10 if anyone needs it. I'd swap it for just about anything useful that I do not already have.

My wife pretty much said that the gun vise was overkill, too fancy for doing work on. Ok.. She was more pleased with the fact that I vacuumed the garage floor.

Thanks again,

Hugh

I don't think it's overkill just more fun woodworking. I look for things to re-finish just to learn finishes before doing a stock. I've been dreaming up a very similar vise, but get stumped on how to hold the forend. Do you find that the rest support is rigid enough for inletting? I'm going to steal the sliding / rising idea if you don't mind. It all looks cool, rifle too.

Hugh,

You might look over what this fellow offers in the way of repro stuff for the SB Lathes:

http://tools4cheap.net/index.php

His name is Jeff Beck, and he is quite honest and reliable. I have one of his steady rests. It is Chinese, but it is well-cast and quite usable. His prices are really good, too. His 4-jaw chuck, for instance, is $120 for your machine. He does do some horse trading, and he might be interested in your compound.

Clemson

Walnut,

Definitely rigin enough, that is one of the reasons I built it the way I did. I was using a Shooters Ridge or something like that, it kept falling over, and losing the grip. I am glad that you want to take ideas off of it, help yourself. I got the knobs from McMasters. 96 cents a piece. 2 1/4 round, for a 3/8 16 thread bolt.

Clemson,

I have bought a couple of parts from Jeff. Good guy. I really like his steady rest, and it is the one that I am going to get, along with the 4 jaw chuck. I have heard nothing but good about his parts. I did not know he did trading, I will give him a call.

Hugh

Tronman,

Thank you. Yes I did use a Rustoleum metal/wood primer. I used it just to seal the wood and give the Duracoat something lay on, rather than be wicked into the pores of the wood. I am sure you could just spray the Duracoat directly on to the wood, but it would probably take multiple coats. I finished it off with a coat of Spar Urethane. No particular reason other than to give it a little added protection, and weatherproofing. You could also use the Duracoat Clear, which I did not have on hand at the time.

My original plan was to have the stock in its original form, but it was just too stained. Good Luck!

Hugh