Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Notching Stock For Bolt Handle

dcs12345

I need to notch my stock for a bent bolt. What are some tips and best tools for the job?

Get either inletting black or prussian blue. Slather it on the bolt handle and where it marks the wood remove the wood using a round rasp. I find the round rasp the fastest easiest way to remove material. A large one 8-10 inches long and a smaller diameter one will come in handy but, truthfully, you can do the job with just the large one. Sand it smooth when done. When done, no black or blue should be visible on the stock. The receiver should arrest the bolt not the stock.

Or if you like that factory look just make a square cut 1/16" fore and aft of the handle shaft and hog it out with a chisel!

Ditto what Z said, I used the file until I had about 80% contact, (with the handle just kissing the wood) and figured that sanding would take care of the last few thou.

• 3 weeks later...

You know, I've always had better luck with a moto tool and a set of wood cutting bits that come in different sizes and shapes.

Contrary to the usual rule of thumb about not using power tools on fine stock work, I've always gotten a better fit. I can't seem to control those big old rasps and files that well in that tiny area and there always seems to be some kind of a curve to get around.

No matter what, do use an indicator like prussian blue (if you can stand the mess) or blacking, or even spit.

Brad

• 1 year later...

I agree with Montea6b and z1r: No gaps means a good job. Your goal is very, very little clearance as if the handle melts into the wood. Test the fit frequently.

Wait a minute... how old is this thread? Last post prior to ArkyHunter's post today was November 23, 2007!!! How embarassing for me to respond!! Arkyhunter, are you living in some parallel universe? :P

I agree with Montea6b and z1r: No gaps means a good job. Your goal is very, very little clearance as if the handle melts into the wood. Test the fit frequently.

Wait a minute... how old is this thread? Last post prior to ArkyHunter's post today was November 23, 2007!!! How embarassing for me to respond!! Arkyhunter, are you living in some parallel universe? :P

WHISKEY, maybe made me look.