Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Lets Play Name That Caliber!

724wd

ok, time to play "fill that gap"! here is a list of actions with the caliber to be used with each. You'll notice the Persian M98/29 at the bottom of the list does not have a caliber listed. That's the little guy i need help with.

30/06 Wapiti - FINISHED & DRAWN BLOOD

1943 JP Sauer & Son - B&C painted stock

6mm rem Speedgoat - ON THE BENCH IN PROGRESS

M24/47 - walnut stock

35 whelen bullwinkle

BNZ 43 - laminated stock

7mm Express smokey (.280 Rem)

k.kale turk Hogue plastic stock

6.5 swede Full Curl

96 swede ultra light - possible maple stock/blind mag

7x57 Venado Cola Blanca

93 spanish - Traditional Open sights

7x57 mule deer mayhem

Steyr 1912 (twisted) or 98/22 - wood stock

?? Caliber

Persian 98/29

Also take note, I have 3 .270's, a 7mm Rem Mag, a .300 RUM, 8mm Mauser, .22/250's, .308 (lever action) and various other calibers in other firearms. here is a short list of calibers I may be thinking of. What am I missing?

.308 short case

7mm/08 short case

.260 win twin to 6.5x55

6.5/06 handload only

.338/06 have .30/06 & .35 Whelen

8mm/06 twin to 30/06

.257 bob Close to 7x57

.25/06 have 6mm rem and .270 - too close?

.284 mod feed rails/bolt face

8x57 twin to 30/06

.264 mod feed rails/bolt face - Twin to 6.5x55

Some of this work I am hesitant to do myself (feed rails and bolt face) so the 2 mag calibers (or others you might suggest) would require $$ smith visit. I am thinking about loaded ammo or component availability, which is why I have shied away from some of the metric calibers. care to convince me otherwise? =)

Since you don't want to do feedrails my vote would be for either the .338-06 or 9.3x62 even though it is not on your list.

Since you don't want to do feedrails my vote would be for either the .338-06 or 9.3x62 even though it is not on your list.

mike, it's not that I dont WANT to do feedrail mods, i am just a bit scared of it! tell me what caliber you would do regardless of mods?

22/250 (duh).

Whoops, double duh, didn't see that you already have that.

Damn, you've chosen well so far. Hmm. this is a challenge....

Clearly you need a big bore.

Any big bore you do that isn't a wild cat will require bolt/feeding mods.

So it looks like it's time to wild cat (muah)!

How big of a bullet can you fit in a fully-expanded 30-06 case? I think I remember from AR someone making a 41/06...

Bullets won't be easy to pay for.

I don't think that 8 x 57 or 8-06 duplicate the 30-06. A 0.323" hole is significantl bigger than a 0.308. I love my 8-06 AI. Its just as fast as a 30-06 and makes a bigger hole.

.308 Norma Mag..great caliber...does dang near everything a 300 Win Mag will do but will do it in a 30-06 length action...bolt face will have to be opened a little and a commercial magazine that gives you a full 3.4 inches, but otherwise, it'll all fit. I believe also you can take a .30-06 barrel and ream it to .308 Norma Mag.

Dave

ok, time to play "fill that gap"! here is a list of actions with the caliber to be used with each. You'll notice the Persian M98/29 at the bottom of the list does not have a caliber listed. That's the little guy i need help with.

30/06 Wapiti - FINISHED & DRAWN BLOOD

1943 JP Sauer & Son - B&C painted stock

6mm rem Speedgoat - ON THE BENCH IN PROGRESS

M24/47 - walnut stock

35 whelen bullwinkle

BNZ 43 - laminated stock

7mm Express smokey (.280 Rem)

k.kale turk Hogue plastic stock

6.5 swede Full Curl

96 swede ultra light - possible maple stock/blind mag

7x57 Venado Cola Blanca

93 spanish - Traditional Open sights

7x57 mule deer mayhem

Steyr 1912 (twisted) or 98/22 - wood stock

?? Caliber

Persian 98/29

Also take note, I have 3 .270's, a 7mm Rem Mag, a .300 RUM, 8mm Mauser, .22/250's, .308 (lever action) and various other calibers in other firearms. here is a short list of calibers I may be thinking of. What am I missing?

.308 short case

7mm/08 short case

.260 win twin to 6.5x55

6.5/06 handload only

.338/06 have .30/06 & .35 Whelen

8mm/06 twin to 30/06

.257 bob Close to 7x57

.25/06 have 6mm rem and .270 - too close?

.284 mod feed rails/bolt face

8x57 twin to 30/06

.264 mod feed rails/bolt face - Twin to 6.5x55

Some of this work I am hesitant to do myself (feed rails and bolt face) so the 2 mag calibers (or others you might suggest) would require $$ smith visit. I am thinking about loaded ammo or component availability, which is why I have shied away from some of the metric calibers. care to convince me otherwise? =)

mike, it's not that I dont WANT to do feedrail mods, i am just a bit scared of it! tell me what caliber you would do regardless of mods?

I'm finishing up, yeah right, an 8x68. I think it is all that the 338 WM is and more/less. Less recoil but every bit as capable. I had plans for another 9.3x62, this one was to be a light weight, well, I just got back from the range today after shooting my Ruger M77 tang safety in 9.3x62 and it flat out kicked the snot out of me. I had been thinking of a .375 Ruger but doubt I need it. On the other hand, my .338-06 is a pussy cat to shoot. Still can't figure it out. Anyway, seems like you've got the bases pretty well covered. If not the 9.3x62 then the .338 Win Mag. It is flatter shooting. One smaller cartidge that I have been wanting to try is the .264 Win Mag.

If you want a more pleasant cartridge, one of my favorites larger bores is the 9.3x57 and LW sells long chambered barrel.

.308 Norma Mag..great caliber...does dang near everything a 300 Win Mag will do but will do it in a 30-06 length action...bolt face will have to be opened a little and a commercial magazine that gives you a full 3.4 inches, but otherwise, it'll all fit. I believe also you can take a .30-06 barrel and ream it to .308 Norma Mag.

Dave

I used to be a big fan of 308 Norma but now days what Norma charges for brass or loaded ammo is just a rip-off. The retail price of loaded 308 Norma is over a hundred per box after sales tax is added. The 338/30 wildcat often interchangable with 308 Norma in some rifles might be a better and certainly lower cost alternative. I don't mind paying a little more, Norma makes excellent ammo but over a hundred per box is simply taking advantage of those that don't roll their own. Norma can kiss my donkey!!!

Below is a picture of factory 338 Winnie and 308 Norma. Neck the 338 down to .308 and you have a nearly identical cartridge.

sears040_edited.jpg

hmmm... now you guys have me thinking big...

.308 Norma Mag

.358 Norma Mag (if you're gonna do it...)

.338 Win Mag

.375 Ruger

.376 Steyr

.400 Whelen (isn't that on the '06 case?)

9.3x57 (what is that, just over .35?)

I suppose these would be ideal for the larger bears and whatnot... I don't see myself heading over to africa, and honestly, probably not for big bears, either... with a .35 Whelen for moose, hmmm... rambling here... with the persian markings, this action calls out for a metric or european caliber... but i have the 7mm's covered, the 8mm's with the .30 chamberings (tell me you'd know the difference if shot with an '06 vs. 8x57, Doble... =) ), the 9.3 is virtually .35 (whelen), isnt there a 9.7x57 (or 63?)...

or do you go the other way and do another 6.5x55 in a standard weight package (as opposed to the lightweight i have planned)... or the .264 Mag?

UGH! TOO MANY CHOICES!!!!!!

I used to be a big fan of 308 Norma but now days what Norma charges for brass or loaded ammo is just a rip-off. The retail price of loaded 308 Norma is over a hundred per box after sales tax is added. The 338/30 wildcat often interchangable with 308 Norma in some rifles might be a better and certainly lower cost alternative. I don't mind paying a little more, Norma makes excellent ammo but over a hundred per box is simply taking advantage of those that don't roll their own. Norma can kiss my donkey!!!

Below is a picture of factory 338 Winnie and 308 Norma. Neck the 338 down to .308 and you have a nearly identical cartridge.

sears040_edited.jpg

My undersanding is that you can resize 7mm Mag brass to use as .308 Norma Mag..I have tried it, it works.I have .308 Norma Mag dies and ran a 7mm Mag case through. The first one, I split the case neck, but then I extra lubricated the neck inside and out and it went through just fine. I think any other differences will fireform out. Neck length may have to be adjusted later..

amazing how much once fired 7MM brass is left at the range. I now have 40 rounds and building. I am planning a Magnum myself on either (1) Enfield Model 1914 action, or (2) a 1903 Springfield action

Dave

Easy problem to solve .... get more guns .... problem fixed.

Hi, have you meet my future gun purchases? =)

CIMG0229.jpg

CIMG0371.jpg

probably will be some time before i am buying any more than i have now...

tell me you'd know the difference if shot with an '06 vs. 8x57, Doble...

Nah, same dead large mammal as far as I know. I haven't killed anything with an 8 mm. I'm just doing standard keyboard ballistics.

But a .323 hole IS bigger than a 308....(looking for more keys to type...).

But you don't have an 8-06 and if you're going to why not the AI? And, it fits in you're Persian and is an excellent synthesis of European caliber, American case AND American wildcatting.... Hell, you might even be able to use the stock barrel! (I know that this creates problems about what to do with the barrel that you had already justified buying anyway).

I`ve Always wanted a custom 7.65 X53 ever since I got my first centerfire rifle a 1891 argentine carbine back in 1978 ,so I`m going to build 2, all parts have been bought slowly in last 2 years , 2 stockless persian barrelled actions from samco , custom headspace guages, 2 lothar barrels, tools etc, working on the workbench for lathe and barrel vise this week, and ordering lathe accesories. Going to build one long rifle and one carbine. Hope to get on em soon if and when baby permits :) . Aaron10

You go, Aaron,

That's a great cartridge, better than the 308 and will do anything you want it to on this continent. And it's really cool on the range (the old timers will know it and nod, the youngsters will hopefully be educated).

Take your time and you will have fine rifles to be proud of, and you will have excellent help here as you go - don't be afraid to ask for it.

I just hope that you don't imagine that you'll be finished after they are (muah).