Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mall Shooting Occured In "gun Free Zone"

AzRednek

Fox is news is the only media outlet to mention the mall shooting being in a so-called gun free zone. The Fox reporter and author John Lott raises the issure in his article. I hope somebody sues the pants off the mall's managment for posting the signs thus preventing an armed off duty LEO (like in the Utah incident) or licensed CCW citizen that might have intervened, stopped the shooter and saved many lives.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,315563,00.html

Yeah, here in Texas all schools are considered "gun free zones", and it is illegal to have one anywhere within a certain distance. Something like 1,000 feet. So, it is illegal to park in a school parking lot if you have a shotgun or deer rifle in your truck (like most ranchers do).

Now, in order for the school district to get an 8 million dollar bond passed, they promised to allow the new building to be available to citizens to walk in (as in malls) and not have to drive to the nearest mall which is 35 miles away.

But, if you want to park in their parking lot before entering the new expensive building, you must be sure there is no gun in your vehicle. That rules out the use of "walking" in their building by me and others who regularly have a rifle on the truck rack.

Unless you want to walk a quarter mile to get to the "walking" building. Makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

Of course, that was just a half-assed attempt to get more votes for the unneeded building in the first place. I wonder how many people will actually get any benefit out of our eight million dollars.

fritz

Fritz,

As I recall when I took my CHL class, I believe I was told that the law had recently been amended to allow CHL holders to carry on a public school campus as long as we were outside as long as the students were inside. Meaning, if you happened to be carrying while walking down the sidewalk and the bell rang and students came outside to change classes, you'd be in violation of the law. My instructor did not recommend carrying while on campus.

As to the gun free mall...I have my concerns about that. It seems that everywhere we've had a major shooting incident in the last five years was always somewhere firearms weren't allowed. Except the courthouse shooting up in Tyler a year or two ago. A CHL holder almost ended that one, but the assailant was wearing body armor and the CHL's bullets failed to penetrate. (The CHL was killed.) A local cop eventually settled the shooter with his AR-15.

I don't hear about many major shootings anymore. Perhaps the CHL laws are working?

"As I recall when I took my CHL class, I believe I was told that the law had recently been amended to allow CHL holders to carry on a public school campus as long as we were outside as long as the students were inside. Meaning, if you happened to be carrying while walking down the sidewalk and the bell rang and students came outside to change classes, you'd be in violation of the law. My instructor did not recommend carrying while on campus."

Jason, you know damned well that Texas law will never clearly define a single thing, much less the carry on campus deal.

fritz

Jason, you know damned well that Texas law will never clearly define a single thing, much less the carry on campus deal.

fritz

I'm not disagreeing with you. You'll notice my final note on the matter: 'My instructor did not recommend carrying while on campus." I don't plan on it. I was just passing along what I was told last summer in my CHL class.

The same goes for our great new "Castle Doctrine" that took effect this September. Before I'd feel comfortable touting it as the greatest thing since sliced bread, I would prefer to have several volumes of litigation in favor of it for my lawyer to use in my defense. When this law took effect, lots of guys were talking like gunslingers dreaming about the OK Corral...not I. I don't have the money to prove I was justified in the use of deadly force in a court of law. Whether our legal system works or doesn't, its surely makes the lawyers lots of money...

[quote name='fritz' date='Dec 11 2007, 01:58 AM' post='31220'

fritz

Arizona gun law is similar, not as far as the school but not definite and clear in allot of cases leaving the so-called violation up to the cop, prosecutor and courts. To the best of my knowledge, carrying in a non-alcoholic beverage serving business that is posted no guns it is a very simple minor misdemeanor on par with a traffic citation. If ordered out by proprietor and refusing it is more serious. I would rather risk a misdemeanor citation in allot of places I do business before going in unarmed. If I'm ever caught, I'll just simply say oops I forgot to leave it in my car and leave.

Many like the Safeway I shopped at for over 20 years had two doors. I used the door and through the video camera without the no guns sign. I have a major shopping center close to home. I enter through small fire escape doors without signs. At least from what I was taught in my CCW class, it is the property owner's responsibility to see to it the signs are clearly visible from every entrance. My CCW instructor cited a case where the automatic door was in the open position as the CCW entered. He was found not guilty in court. The CCW (supposedly, it could be falling into urban legend) filed charges against the security guards and store mgmt that forcibly retained him until cops arrived.

"Whether our legal system works or doesn't, its surely makes the lawyers lots of money... "

And that is why there will always be a "grey area". Many politicians started out as lawyers. I believe Hillary is one of them. And I am sure we can all name a few more.

Put the power to change laws in the hands of a lawyer, and---------

fritz