Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How Big?

Wildlife Artist

I'm interested in building a large bore or something close to one.

I don't know the OAL of most cartridges so I need that info

The gun will be a Argentine 1909 and I want to use the original bottom metal with minimum mods.

I can open up the front and back of the mag a little but I'm concerned with the width.

So I'm open to your suggestions.

Thanks for your help

35 Whelen or 338/06 would likely be my choice if I had a 09 Argie action, didn't want to fool around with alterations for a belted mag and didn't as I do now and already have the Whelen. If you're not a reloader the 338/06 isn't as commonly available on dealer's shelves as the Whelen is but via the net it shouldn't be to much of a problem. Just curious, is your 09 German or Argentine manufactured?

For an interesting wildcat try the 411 Ryan: http://www.411ryan.com/

"Why the 411 Ryan?

Probably the best reason to own a rifle chambered for the 411 Ryan is that it can simplify your shooting and hunting life. That might sound like a strange thing to say about a wildcat but it's true.

The 411 Ryan is essentially in the same class as the 405 Winchester, 375 H&H and the new 375 Ruger. To have a rifle chambered for one of these cartridges the average guy can expect to shell out anywhere from six to eight hundred dollars. If you already own a rifle that can be converted or if you buy a good used rifle to convert you.ll probably save money with the 411 Ryan. Most people will probably find that their 411 is a little lighter than the 405s or 375s, but still feels like it kicks less.

The 411 also avoids some of the problems that people sometimes run into with wildcats. To begin with, the 411 does not require custom dies; standard 405 Winchester dies can be used to reload your cases. To convert a bolt gun with a standard-length action (30-06, 270 Win, 280 Rem) to 411 Ryan, no work has to be done to the magazine or the bolt face. This saves money and ensures that the magazine will hold the same number of rounds it always did."

Saving up to build one, already have a CZ-24 donor.

I highly recommend a 9.3x62. You should experience few feeding problems and Lothar Walther makes a high quality barrel for this caliber as a stocking item.

If you want to go bigger than a 9.3, pick up a big Enfield somewhere and have at it. Two of my projects for 2008 are to get barrels on both my Enfields. One in 375 H&H, the other in 458 Lott. Few people need go bigger than that....

The 416 Taylor sounds interesting. Can someone here tell me the OAL on this cartridge?

Like most rounds based on the original short mags, it is 3.340". Of course, being a wildcat that is just a reference number but one most people will use.