Military Firearm Restoration Corner

2nd Deer Season For Me

TwistJG26

After many years of lusting over the deer hunting on my inlaw's farm I finally got off my arse and purchased tags last year. Much too warm last year and after three days of no sightings I packed it in. This year was colder and the snow revealed many tracks, deer feces and urine. I was able to put in two full days over Christmas but have until the end of January to harvest. My black powder tags expire Jan 10 but a special antlerless season starts on the 11th and the State will allow me to use a centerfire rifle.

At the end of the second day I climbed down from the tree stand and started the long walk back to the house. The very last bit of ambient light revealed 6 deer grazing in the field just to the west of the house. I was almost startled by their presence and my heartbeat immediatley increased. Unfortunately I was in the middle of a snow covered field without any cover. Mossy oak works fine in the woods and timber but not out in the open. The deer were about 200 yards away. My only advantage was that they had yet to spot me and that I was on a slight depression. I crounched down and tried to close the distance and set up a shot that would send the bullet away from the house should I miss.

Closing the gap maybe by 50 yards I took my shot in the near total darkness. Click. Checked the secondary safety and racked the bolt again. Click. Bad primer disc. this did not help my nervousness but I was able to get a new disc in without alerting the deer. BAM!!!!!!

My Knight is my newest rifle. Having a pair of Mausers, a Marlin 22 mag and an SKS I view the Knight inline muzzle loader as a different species. This gun puts out a great deal of smoke and I always marvel at it and have yet to notice any recoil. Since it was dark this time I was almost stunned by the bright orange flame never having witnessed a night time shot. the deer noticed and rtan into the timber northward probably to where I sat all day. No sign of blood and being too dark to walk the woods I decided to wait til the morning to search and try once again.

We had to go home the next day and the snow storm did not make Wifey very happy with the 90 miles we needed to travel. Her father fired up his tractor and we toured the fields without spotting any mre deer nor finding any evidence that I scored a hit. But he shared more of his knowlege of where the corn rats hang out on the farm. I was glad that I was able to squeeze the trigger. Need some range time to work on the open field crouching position. Always next week...

Wow,that's a good hunting report Twist.Sounds like you had a grand time out in the woods.I reckon I need to get back into front stuffing hunting.All the fire and smoke right at dark brought back a bunch of memories.Where are you hunting and are you using a scope? Jerry

I bought a shooting stick a while back,and it's a pain in the waazoo to tote around,but everytime I have to take a shot offhand,I wish I had it.I'll be the first to say,I'm not a good shot and need any help I can get.Your Iowa deer make our Texas deer look like jack-rabbits,so maybe you better practice.I reckon after hunting all day in the snow and freezing,almost no light left,probably starving,and using a charcoal burner,and shooting off-hand,you would've pulled off a miracle shot if you had gotten the deer,but you gotta try.Thanks again for the hunting story. Jerry