Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Tight!

rustvyper

Holy Cow! this sucker is tight! this is a right-threaded action, is it not? righty-tighty, lefty-loosie? I'm using a pipe on my action wrench to give me leverage & all I'm doing is lifting my whole work bench! Any thoughts?

If your talking about a Mauser or Gew.88 then yes, righty tighty, lefty loosy.

Kroil is your friend. Apply some Kroil (this is literlay the best penetrating oil on the market) to the junction of the secondary tourqe shoulder and in the receiver at the primary torque shoulder. Be genrous. Allow it to work for several days.

If the Kroil application by itself does not do the trick you can try smacking the handle of your action wrench with a heavy dead blow hammer once or twice and then go back to the cheater bar.

If you are not going to reuse the barrel you can put a pipe wrench on the barrel. place the barreled recever on the floor with the receiver wrench on the concrete. Place the pipe wrench on the barrel so that the end of the wrench so that it is in the air a few inches. Holding on to something to minimize the fall risk step on to the pipe wrench. If needed bounce yourself up and down on the pipe wrench.

If this does not work and you are not planning to reuse the barrel you make a relief cut in the barrel right where it buts up to the secondary torque shoulder. If you don not have a lathe, like me, you can do this with a rotary tool and cut off wheels if you have time and a steady hand.

My experience with some of the Vz24s is that the barrels where torqued on about like the local tire company does lug nuts. Overtorqued. I've not found that to be true of Turks or Swedes. I haven't tried Yugos yet.

Vlad

Check this out, I bent the pipe-wrench I used to get it off!

Well the good news is I now have a beautiful receiver which I took down to the white, ground off the charging hump & drilled/tapped for the bases. Waiting on the barrel & bolt handle from Brownells for phase 2 of the project.

Cost so far:

~$79 for the 24/47

$8 for the bases

~$87 for the barrel & bolt handle

$90 for the stock

$30 for the trigger

+ misc costs, etc.

Looking around $300+ for the project...not bad, although not my cheapest to date.

post-3600-1200001257_thumb.jpg

rustvyper,

Don't know if you've removed the barrel yet and missed if anyone gave this hint. My first removal was a Vz24. I took some playdo and rolled it into a small ball and plugged the chamber. After that I placed the barrel muzzle down and secured the rifle in that position. Then Applied penetrating oil and let it set at least overnight. When I removed the barrel the threads were moist/damp. Still had to add a little persuasion but it wasn't all that bad.