Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Stockmaker?

Bob58

Does anybody recognize this stock? Is it a pattern/style available from some of the more popular stock replacement companies? Or perhaps it is recognizable as one that is readily available, but significantly recontoured? I find this pattern quite attractive (sans inlays) and would like to locate one.

This picture appeared in an earlier thread and I archived it for future reference. The earlier thread referred to it as listed on an auction site but didn't mention the possible source.

Assuming it is not readily available, how would you proceed? Assume you don't have the original. My first thought is a Richard's Microfit Old Classic with some modification.

post-3097-1200169028_thumb.jpg

Don't know who made that stock but my thoughts are run, don't walk away from Richard's Microfit. I used to live down the road so I could cherry pick and talk to them in person. I wouldn't order over the phone.

Here is a stock I had made by a local guy. His is on top, Richard's on the bootom. His is much nicer sytle wise, inletting wise, and in wood grade. I paid $150 for this stock and just look at the fiddleback. The grip is more open than the Richards, and geometry better.

DSC00042.jpg

By the way, that is one of Richard's classics.

I have used a few Richards stocks, a couple from his racks and three he cut from my blanks. One was suppose to be a blind mag mauser but his duplicater op cut it for a mag anyway. This was a spendy piece of crotch walnut. His classic is just like his Weathbe copy sporter without the monte carlo and rosewood caps. All finished nice but I made some changes like rounding the forend and opening the grip.. It has been about three years but Roger Biesen in Spokane profiled three stocks from blanks I provided. He wants your metal intended for eack stock. He gave me best pre-inlet I ever worked on with good classic lines. One had a nice subduwed Monte carlo comb that was tastful. Roger was more reasonable in price then expected and my latest carve it all myself from a blank reminds why I like Duplicators. Gone is Jack Burris, who had a wharehouse full off claro, Bastogne and English. I druelled over the expensive blanks in his racks but usually bought midrange Claro and took it down a few blocks to Richards

Dubbel in Colville WA is ACGG with a duplicater who will cut using your stock as a guide. I have stocks from an Ebay vender named Dakota and thought them just right on stock removal for easy inletting , have seen no gaps, like around mauser box on bottom. A little thick but provides some chance to slim down and add some fluting. Often sale at good prices.

Larkin

NRA LIFE,FFL

• 3 weeks later...

I originally posted the pic at the start of this thread, immediately emailed to see if I could disclose his addy, got the following response today. Turns out it's Weaver77 from our site, what a grand surprise!

" i have no problem with you giving out my email address and once again i would like to thank you for your compliments on my stock since then i have completed several more but have not had time to post any pics since i have been hunting but now that hunting season has ended here in texas i am back at the mauser work again and am building a 25-06 for an friend and a 280 ackley for myself and hope to be able to post pics soon thanks again james

ps sorry it has taken so long to get back to posting but ive been hunting and with my regular job that pretty much takes up all my time " Weaver77

All right you twisted my arm. That stock bill is referring to was a walnut classic from Boyds. I was lucky and got one with slightly under sized inletting so I was able to get a good metal to wood fit. I spent a good while reshaping it and thinning it, I think the reason it came out so nice is because I started shaping and opening the grip area first, then I just removed wood and thinned the rest of the stock to match the grip and added a mesquite tip. Since then I've been doing the last few stocks the same way. I've only had one of about 6 stocks from Boyds that the inletting was slightly over sized on and that one was a pepper laminate so I was able to glass it all in with out it being noticeable. The fellow that build was for is very happy with it I started it right before deer season thinking I could get it done quick, but that never works out. But it was ready by the end of November. That's the one I was supposed to get more pics of for bilurey as I shaped each area of the stock, but I like to hunt more then I like bilurey ( no offence meant ) so I am hoping to make amends with the 25-06 I'm doing now. The barrel is in, stocks in, bottom metal is reshaped; trigger and safety are waiting patiently in a drawer. The chamber reamer is not here yet so I haven't started the stock work yet since I like the barreled action to do the inletting. I guess I could of fit the barrel to the action and started, but I hate have to set a barrel up in the lathe more than once. I almost forgot I've done a couple of Richards’s stocks also. The inletting was fine on them, but by time you get done rasping on them (yes rasp no file and sand pepper till a pound and a half of wood is removed ) you will have both put on some muscle and filled up your shop vac. I'm with zr1 and don't really like them either which reminds me zr1 hasn't disclosed the source of his "$150" stocks yet (hint meant). Any way I hope to post some more pics soon. Also I still have some mesquite wood blocks left if anyone wants to try one. They usually finish out about the color of rosewood but a lot harder wood almost as hard as hickory and harder then most walnut. PM me if anyone needs a piece, I also have some slabs that make nice knife handles or pistol grips.

I buy mesquite chunks for BBQ, and in the last bag there were a couple pieces big enough for a pistol/knife handle. I put them aside, but haven't done anything with them yet.

Just an FYI on an unconventional source to consider for smaller pieces...