Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
Ron J

Model 50 Sears Fn Mauser

Thanks for all of the good advice. I am planning a knock-around rifle for use in Alaska, and a chrome lined bore should be almost rust-proof. Az, do you recall who in LA your friend may have contacted about plating the entire barrel?

redoak, the art of plating inside a barrel is far beyond most plating shops. if you want a rustproof barrel, then get a new chrome-lined barrel and have the outside duracoated.

Az, do you recall who in LA your friend may have contacted about plating the entire barrel?

Afraid I don't, I do know he located them through them while doing auto restorations in San Diego. If you know or have anybody in your area that does or deals with auto restorations they could probably give you a lead.

Those JC Higgins barrels turn up for sale quite often. I sold one earlier this year.

Remember also, that hard chromed bores cannot be reamed. Well, actually they can, however it takes a special reamer to do it. When the military used hard chromed bores, they mounted the barrel and then tried various bolts until one headspaced properly.

Hi Walnut,

I'm not able to see your pictures due to the "dreaded red X", but it appears that after reading all posts, you do have a very nice rifle.

If it seems that while trying to fix your stock its really a dead end, may I make a suggestion?

Go to Richards Microfit Stocks and have them cut you a new stock using your old one for a guide. They have several grades and types of wood to choose from. Their website is http://www.rifle-stocks.com/

I haven't used them yet but I will be getting a stock from them for my 98 Mauser !

HTH

CI

CI,

Do yourself a favor and don't get a stock form Richards. I'd fix my broken JC Higgins stock before having Richards make a stock. Their seconds are good for learning on but if I'm paying good money it won't be to Richards. There are many better stock makers out there.

z1r,

Who would ya suggest for stock work that you don't need a second mortage for? I was going to buy a blank and have Richards turn it. However, if they do questionable work I would definitely go else where.

Elk Ridge appears to be out of business, and others I've looked at want to do an entire rifle for mucho dinero!

Thx,

CI

You might give Great American Gunstocks a look. It really depends on how fancy you want to get. I picked up a classic style for a 98 in Myrtle off their bargain section for $100.00. I wanted to try Myrtle - something new for me. The stock isn't bad. They sent me some Myrtle scraps when I asked for free. I wanted some stuff to practice finishing / dying etc.

I'll repair the Higgins stock to death before I give up - it has neat wood. I jokingly call it a 300.00 dollar stock lesson and they threw in the barreled action! I've been busy with work, a friends Corvette, another friend's .22 and just stuff in general. I've been taking pictures as I work the insides so when it's fixed I'll post.

Ron

z1r,

Who would ya suggest for stock work that you don't need a second mortage for? I was going to buy a blank and have Richards turn it. However, if they do questionable work I would definitely go else where.

Elk Ridge appears to be out of business, and others I've looked at want to do an entire rifle for mucho dinero!

Thx,

CI

SHULIN STOCK WORKS

Ed Shulin

16511 Co. Rd. 75.1

Trinidad, CO 81082

Phone: 719-846-2301

That would be my first recomendation, there are a few others too. Richards wouldn't even be on my list.

-Don