Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Who Made The Brazillian Mausers

littlecanoe

I've been researching a Mauser that has been offered for sale by a friends dad. He picked it up at an auction. I don't have pictures unfortunately.

It has the Brazillian chrest with star. The action says "fabrique de _____________ Brazil" in front of the thumb cutout.

Opposite in behind the front ring it reads Mod 08/34 .30. I assume that this indicates a rebarrel to 30.06.

It isn't Pristine. It's non-matching. The handguard is rough. The cosmo appears to never have been cleaned from the rifle as it is dried and black. The bore appears sharp but very dirty. Can't tell about rust. There does appear to be rust on the barrel underneath the handguard.

Asking price is 125$. I'm not sure what it's worth or who made it or if it's a good choice.

Any ideas?

I've been researching a Mauser that has been offered for sale by a friends dad. He picked it up at an auction. I don't have pictures unfortunately.

It has the Brazillian chrest with star. The action says "fabrique de _____________ Brazil" in front of the thumb cutout.

Opposite in behind the front ring it reads Mod 08/34 .30. I assume that this indicates a rebarrel to 30.06.

It isn't Pristine. It's non-matching. The handguard is rough. The cosmo appears to never have been cleaned from the rifle as it is dried and black. The bore appears sharp but very dirty. Can't tell about rust. There does appear to be rust on the barrel underneath the handguard.

Asking price is 125$. I'm not sure what it's worth or who made it or if it's a good choice.

Any ideas?

Any large ring mauser 98 that ain't pitted is easily worth $125. The original 1908 was made by DWM. I'll have to look up who made the 08/34. Starts with an I doesn't it?

Thanks! I might just pick it up then.

Sounds like I can't go wrong with DWM or Cz.

Z, I need to talk about the matching 7x57 projects that I e-mailed you about.

Gimmie a call at the number on my signature line.

Little boat,I have a 95 and a 1908 Brazilian,and both are beautiful rifles until you pull them out of the wood.They have the worse pitting I've seen on any gun,and is completely hidden under the wood.There's no way I'd buy a S.American rifle without looking under the wood.If the 1908 isn't past exceptable pitting and is DWM,that would be a steal,because they are way nice rifles.Jerry

Little boat,I have a 95 and a 1908 Brazilian,and both are beautiful rifles until you pull them out of the wood.They have the worse pitting I've seen on any gun,and is completely hidden under the wood.There's no way I'd buy a S.American rifle without looking under the wood.If the 1908 isn't past exceptable pitting and is DWM,that would be a steal,because they are way nice rifles.Jerry

Yea, I agree with Horsefly as I found that out first hand when I bought a Brazilian 1908 Mauser on one of those auctions sites. It looked really nice with the stock on and when I pulled it apart their was a fair amount of pitting under the wood line through out. I have a new barrel for it and I am going to attempt to fill these pits on the action with something though unsure yet. I was thinking about using epoxy, JB weld, or possibly Devicon to help restore this action. Eric

Yea, I agree with Horsefly as I found that out first hand when I bought a Brazilian 1908 Mauser on one of those auctions sites. It looked really nice with the stock on and when I pulled it apart their was a fair amount of pitting under the wood line through out. I have a new barrel for it and I am going to attempt to fill these pits on the action with something though unsure yet. I was thinking about using epoxy, JB weld, or possibly Devicon to help restore this action. Eric

I have to chime in here with Fly. Every South American rifle I've seen since I've been buying since the 70's were pitted under the wood. At least in my experience, the exceptions to the rule seem to be Argies and the mint or near mint rifles from Venezuela. Do not be fooled by a bright bore some were re-lined and a few re-barreled. I assume the problem is created by the humid and tropical weather.