Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Swedes - Given A Choice...

Ron J

Given a choice and assuming to build a sporter (although possibly using the original barrel if good), which Swede is prefered and why? I've read of 3 mfg - Gustav, German and Husqvarna. I've only seen the M38 Huskie and the Gustavs. They seem very similar to my untrained eye.

I think the actions are all pretty much the same, except the very early German 94's were much closer to a 93.

The main action difference between 94, 96, and 38, is straight or bent bolt handles.

94s all had bent bolt handles.

96s had straight handles, except for the sniper models which had a bent handle.

I'm not sure about 38s. I believe they were just a shortened 96.

Kenny

Edited: The 38s were a shortened 96 but with bent bolt handle.

I think German 96's are favored by collectors because they're fewer of them.My choice would be Gustav to build a rifle from,because the Husky's are kinda rare too.It's been said that when the Swedes gave the contract to Mauser to build their guns,they shipped the steel to Germany,requiring their guns to be built with Swedish steel because of it being superior to the Germans steel.I haven't read that to be a fact.If I had a 94 I'd be a happy man.Jerry

It's only speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me that the early forties steel of the Husqvarna M38, under the control of the meticulous swedes must have been at least slightly better than the older models made at the turn of the century. Advances in steel technology and processes had to play a part over 40 years of production. But they are all sweet looking and useful.

Spiris

It's only speculation on my part, but it makes sense to me that the early forties steel of the Husqvarna M38, under the control of the meticulous swedes must have been at least slightly better than the older models made at the turn of the century. Advances in steel technology and processes had to play a part over 40 years of production. But they are all sweet looking and useful.

Spiris

Ok, Here is my take. The composition of the steels didn't change enough to matter. The heat treating process may have been a bit more refined in later years, it was with most other mausers. However, the earlier actions had better craftsmanship. I just rebarrelled a 1944 Husky yesterday and the lug seats looked like they were cut with a pocket knife. My 1899 Obie looked smooooth. The Carl Gustafs that I've worked on were nice. Since I heat treat all mine later models don't sway me.

• 5 months later...
If you are going to use the original barrel, and want to use lighter, shorter bullets, the M38 has a shorter throat. LL

No, not true. If the m/38s were fitted with a short throat, how was it that the Swedish Army avoided m/94 ammunition (long throated ammo) for the m/38 through the 1940's? Not possible and did not happen. In fact, many m/38's were converted from m/96's (ie long throated m/94 bullets) and kept the original throat. The other m/38's, made later by Husqvarna, were chambered the same, but were also equipped with different rear sights, to compensate for the m/41 trajectory and they were equipped with a range plate to provide elevation correction for the m/94 ammunition.

metzgeri