Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How To Clean Norwegian Krag,bore Is Black!

Just got a Norskie krag in great outer shape but the bore is Dark,dark,dark!! Its a 6.5x55. I've got the barrel filled to top with Shooter's choice for Overnite but I tried about 30 or 40 patches and it is still black. I used Kroil/J-B paste and still not clean.

More elbow grease or what? Any suggestions? Is this condition from corrosive ammo? I want to hunt with this but now I'm a little sceptical. Thanks from the CANUCK and greetings from up here, JITC :unsure:

Try this:

read about an electric bore cleaner a few years ago as I recall is built like this:

Parts: a stainless steel rod about 3 ft long and thin enough to fit inside the bore without touching the inside of the bore.

wires, a two "D", four alligator clips, a and a 50 /50 mix of ammonia and water and a couple of

insulators.

Construction:

Take the rod and put one insulate on the bottom, one in the middle and one at the muzzle.

Get a six volt battery.

Using about 4 feet of wire for each alligator clip attach the battery pact wires to the clips.

Use:

Remove the barreled receiver from the stock and clamp it upright.

Plug the chamber with a cork and pair in the mixture.

Put the rod in the bore and let about a foot stick out.

attach the wires One, I think the ( N ) to the steel rod and (P) to part of the receiver.

The mixture will start to bubble up. I wrap a rag around the barrel to catch the overflow.

Last step:

Clean the bore and oil the rifle inside and out.

Put him together and head to the range.

II used it on a Vz-24, I would have sworn was clean, you know how we are with rifle cleaning, and to my horror,tons of black carbon came off..it looked like jungle mud.

The only problem is that now I have to "electric clean" all my rifles. : )

Karl

Yes, the electronic bore cleaner is the way to go.

I bought a 30" stainless steel rod at the hardware store. I use a whittled down wine cork with center drilled to accept the rod. Cork goes in the chamber end. I use a couple small O-rings (30cal bore) or electric tape (22cal bore) along the length of the rod to keep it from touching the bore. At the top, I tape a funnel to the muzzle. I use a flashlight that takes 4 D cells and connected two leads with alligator clips to it. I poor ammonia down the bore to the top. Negative attached to the rod, Positive to the reciever.

Ammonia will bubble up, therefore the reason for the funnel. I leave the power on for 5 minutes. I may repeat this 2 or 3 times. Each time, you'll see the rod comes out with a black residue. The barrel definitely cleans up. After I wipe the residue off, I polish the rod with 000 steel wool for a good annode surface the next time.

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic...=80&t=39312

metzgeri

If its not bright after a bunch of elbow grease, its never going to be, unless you bore it out.

A dark bore is not the end of the world (or maybe more appropriately, the end of the barrel).

Dark bores can shoot just fine, but they usually require more maintenance (e.g. they foul more quickly).

I've had some good luck shooting 303 bullets out of corroded 308 barrels that weren't accurate with 308 bullets.

303 bullets are 312" - 308" = 0.004" oversized.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANYONE.

To do something similar with a 6.5 mm using a commonly-available bullet you'd have to go to a 270:

277" - 264" = 0.013".

Is this safe? I don't know. I would NOT try it.

What I would try is getting a cheap and commonly-available 270 bullet mold and try sizing down cast bullets until reasonable accuracy is obtained.

How would I do this safely?

First, I'd slug the bore. I'd do this by driving a piece of 00 buck lead shot down the bore from the breach with a brass rod.

Based on largest measurement of the slug, I'd add 0.002". Then I'd try to find a common sizing die that was that dimension. Chances are the measurement will be 0.268 and there are no sizing dies. If so, I'd get a Lee push-through at 0.243" and either ream it out myself or talk a guy going by Buckshot at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ into reaming it out for me.

If its not bright after a bunch of elbow grease, its never going to be, unless you bore it out.

A dark bore is not the end of the world (or maybe more appropriately, the end of the barrel).

Dark bores can shoot just fine, but they usually require more maintenance (e.g. they foul more quickly).

I've had some good luck shooting 303 bullets out of corroded 308 barrels that weren't accurate with 308 bullets.

303 bullets are 312" - 308" = 0.004" oversized.

I AM NOT RECOMMENDING THIS TO ANYONE.

To do something similar with a 6.5 mm using a commonly-available bullet you'd have to go to a 270:

277" - 264" = 0.013".

Is this safe? I don't know. I would NOT try it.

What I would try is getting a cheap and commonly-available 270 bullet mold and try sizing down cast bullets until reasonable accuracy is obtained.

How would I do this safely?

First, I'd slug the bore. I'd do this by driving a piece of 00 buck lead shot down the bore from the breach with a brass rod.

Based on largest measurement of the slug, I'd add 0.002". Then I'd try to find a common sizing die that was that dimension. Chances are the measurement will be 0.268 and there are no sizing dies. If so, I'd get a Lee push-through at 0.243" and either ream it out myself or talk a guy going by Buckshot at http://castboolits.gunloads.com/ into reaming it out for me.

What I'm going to do is JUST leave it the way it is!! My arms are getting tired and there is no improvement. I'm reloading some 6.5 soon as dies get here and will see then how it shoots.

The guy I traded with never fired it so I have no reference points . Many thanks to all(the electro route looks interesting tho) JITC

some people swear by heating up the bore by shooting then applying kroil, and letting it sit for a bit. this is supposed to soften the fouling. the good news is it is fun (you have to shoot it) and easy (just slather the bore with kroil while hot).

then brush it out and see what happens. the internet is full of stories of bores being shot clean. maybe it does happen.

• 3 weeks later...

Over 50+ years I discovered that far too much insistance is placed upon perfect bores and muzzle crowns. I tried to buy at least one of every bolt action military rifles I could find in the reference books, clean them up and shoot them with original milsurp ammo and then carefully made handloads.

I discovered that bores can be shot clean (as described above) and even sewer pipes will shoot with acceptable accuracy (3.5 ins. at 100 yrds.) as long as lands are present and the bore is not worn oval from poor cleaning techniques. I had an early low number '03 Springfield and an 1895 Win. Russian (the most beat up rifle I ever owned), both with sewer pipe bores even after shooting them clean. The Springfield was incrediblely accurate if I used 220 grn. round nose bullets and the Russian shot milsurp ammo into 4 in. groups.

The NRA ran a test using an unissued "03-A3 in which the face of the muzzle was beveled off at increasing angles of about 5 degrees until dispersion became completely unacceptable. I was amazed at how much that muzzle was beveled before anything really significant happened. My point is that consistant shooting techniques are far more importhant thant perfect bores or muzzles.

I came to feelthat thousands of perfectly acceptable milsurps were unnecessarily rebarreled because of less than perfect bores, or, shooters lack of knowledge about the original chamberings. 6.5, 7, and 8mm cartridges used in foreign rifles equal or exceed most of the common small to medium American cartridges, and until the past 15 years the softpoint projectiles of these cartridges were superior to most American hunting projectiles.

My father told me I'd never learn much about women by staring at them. So, shoot an Elk with a civil war Springfield or Enfield, prehaps even a more modern 45-70-500. Try using an unaltered milsurp for deer hunting, the deer won't shoot back like the soldiers who originally used then. What a wonderful life of shooting I've had in spite of some of the nimrods I was surrounded by, touting their Son Of Sampson 30 cal. cannons which they hadn't shot enough to be able to hit much more than brush. I remember one fellow telling me, "Ya I missed, but look at what it did to the tree it hit". Well, it's time for me to get back to sporterizing that newest Mauser I just got, see you later. Bilurey