Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Recoil Pad?

montea6b

Somebody here posted a whole back about wanting to put a whiteline spacer recoil pad on a project. I meant to PM them, but never got around to it and now I can't remember who it was. I don't know how fancy your project is, but I have one I'll give you for free if you are interested. It's pictured below on the Swede carbine, second from bottom. I replaced it with another pad, and it just sits in a drawer. The screw holes are a little ragged, and the edges a little checked with age, but as I found out if you grind to fit it will probably clean up pretty nicely. Let me know if you, or anybody else is interested.

P.S., this is the "before" photo of the Swede facelift project I have posted on previously.

Range.jpg

hey Guy. I could usaer it for my mag rifle. PM me ..Dave

• 4 weeks later...
hey Guy. I could usaer it for my mag rifle. PM me ..Dave

You can always build your own, cost about $1 to $5 depending on what you have around the house. Almost unlimited colors too! True the buttstock, cut the whiteline spacer, select the thickness and color of the pad.

post-3861-1214453791_thumb.jpg

post-3861-1214453803_thumb.jpg

post-3861-1214453818_thumb.jpg

post-3861-1214453833_thumb.jpg

RonE thats a new one on me the closest to that that i have seen was tire tread lag bolted to butt to make a pad

please post pics of finished pad

weaver77

Not that I advocate white line spacers but I do realize some folks haven't fully migrated to the later half of the 20th century much less the 21st. :P

For them that ain't, a piece of maple veneer or a piece of bleach bottle under a plain old pad, buttplate, grip cap, etc makes a white line spacer.

I made a spacer for my Grandpa's Remington model 10 when I was a kid out of about 1/8th'' brass because the holes were so wollowed out a screw wouldn't work,and in those days I knew zilch about Accra Glass or even JBweld.I cut all I could with a hacksaw,and done the rest with files,thendrilled and countersunk new holes where the wood was good to hold the spacer,and then drill and tapped for the pad to mount on the spacer.It was a lot of work,but turned out good,and it impressed Grandpa,so it was worth the time.It looked like a gold tooth on a pretty woman,but after it tarnished,it actually looked better.That was probably 40 years ago and the biggest gun repairs I had done at the time.I've repaired guns for lots of years,and you punk-ass kids impress the devil out of me with you work.I'm still a fixer,but ya'll are artist.Jerry

There are some guns I think look good with white line recoil pads some look better without I was taught by an older gentleman he liked them on some things I have to draw the line on the red recoilpads though this world sure would be boreing if we all liked the same thing

Hey Ron E, I found a pink flip flop the other day. wonder would that work. bet I'd get some funny staring huh. All jokes aside, you gave me a good idea..thanks..Dave

RonE thats a new one on me the closest to that that i have seen was tire tread lag bolted to butt to make a pad

please post pics of finished pad

weaver77

OK, here it is, I painted the stock too. Industrial purple with yellow areas for the "manufactures warnings". ;)

post-3861-1214717344_thumb.jpg

I've repaired guns for lots of years,and you punk-ass kids impress the devil out of me with you work.I'm still a fixer,but ya'll are artist.Jerry

Fly, my feelings exactly. The artistic skills I see here really makes me envious. Wouldn't hurt my feeling so bad but most of you guys make it look and sound as though it was as easy as tieing your shoes.

Fly, my feelings exactly. The artistic skills I see here really makes me envious. Wouldn't hurt my feeling so bad but most of you guys make it look and sound as though it was as easy as tieing your shoes.

Rednek - Keep in mind that you are seeing just a small part of my project. The project with my Mousin Nouget 91/30 is just for fun and a spoof too. This is an $80 gun that I am cutting up, not some really nice or even some ordinary modern deer rifle. Any new parts that I add to this project can be used on good guns when I am through having fun with the 91/30. For the full story, check out: http://www.thehighroad.org/showthread.php?t=369278 I do not have any fancy tools other than a drill press and a cutoff saw. If I make a major mistake, I can chalk it up to learning. If the rifle isn't accurate when I get done, so what? I would be scared to death to cut into a Remington 700 that was otherwise in good condition.

Have FUN shooting,

Ron