Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Starting A Project

Hanksv

I'm going to start my yugo .308 project next week. I will be visiting my parents next week and will have access to a complete machine shop (lathes, mills, migs, tigs, all the good stuff). Before I get started I have a couple of questions.

First, when drilling and tapping the scope bases, do you drill all the way through the front receiver ring? I have seen some guys suggest that you don't go all the way, while others say that you should punch it through. I'm aware that I don't want to hit the lug seat.

Second, does anyone have a couple pictures of one of the Brownells bolt handles during the process of welding it on? I would like to see at what angle you cut the old handle off and the angle of the new handle when attached.

Thanks,

Hank

Yes, drill all the way through the front ring (and the rear bridge, too, for that matter).

I think this set of photos can be attributed to Jack Belk. I just saved it as a "Favorite." http://community.webshots.com/slideshow/31...Dq98YI7bQWYSjJr

The Archives here have some pretty good information also. http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=4787

Clemson

Yes, drill all the way through the front ring (and the rear bridge, too, for that matter).

Clemson

Providing that you have the barrel off.

You don't want to risk drilling into the chamber.

'Obvious' but some times the 'obvious' bears stating.

Mental lapses do happen.

Tinker

Thanks, Clemson. I had seen your bolt handle tutorial a while back but couldn't find it with a quick search. That is exactly what I was looking for.

On another note, I think I scored a pretty decent deal on a reamer. About a week and a half ago I added a PTG solid pilot finish reamer to my shopping cart at midway and it showed a price of $79 instead of $95. Since I'm going pretty cheap on this project I ordered it. When my package arrived, the reamer was one of the interchangeable pilot models. So, this brings me to my next question. When I start reaming the chamber, how much downward pressure should I put on the reamer? I'm looking at this thing and thinking that if you don't use enough pressure you probably won't get a clean cut; right?

Use enough pressure to get it to cut. Avoid turning it backwards. You will feel the reamer cutting. When you get close to final depth, cut only one or two revolutions between checks with the GO gauge. If you get impatient, it is guaranteed that you will cut too deep! Clean the reamer frequently, and use a good quality cutting oil. I have used Rapid Tap with complete satisfaction, and I normally use the Ridgid Nuclear cutting oil available at any plumbing supply store.

Clemson

clemsons right on....with a new reamer you"ll find it want take much pressure to get a bite.. go slow, clean often...clean chamber good when you check headspace...oil and metal cuttings can give bad reading..