Military Firearm Restoration Corner

M-48 To 30-06

Sailormilan2

I keep getting into discussion(arguments) as to whether or not a M-48 Yugo can be rebarreled to 30-06. I believe it can be done, and safely too. Most people won't believe me, even though I have fed a 30-06 from the top position with no problem. The hardest part is converting the mag to the proper length, which is doable, but a bit of a pain.

I guess I will have to do it just to say I did. I have a spare A&B barrel laying around.

Of couse it can be done. Just like you can put an h+h mag in a standard 98. IMO though to do it safely you have to do the bulk of your mag extending to the rear. You can't just mill out the front. Also the way you load your cases can help to reduce COL. I just think it would be easier to start with a std action to begin with. But what's the fun in that.

-Don

sailorman,

I got mine to feed by loading the standard military magazine with 150gr. and chambering.

I opened up the box to at the front and rear until I got a caliper reading of 3.340 and then took the feed ranmp down even with the front of the magazine (a very minimul amount) just so I had it at the Spec OAL in case I ever used handloads I didn't roll or heavier bullets.

I just measured 2 other yugo mags and both can be filed down and get the spec OAL on both of them the box will be a little thin but it will be in the stock 100% so I don't think this will be an issue or it hasen't been for me.

I don't know where this myth that they cant be used for 06 length cases without major mods comes from but it is incorrect.

Roy

sailorman,

I got mine to feed by loading the standard military magazine with 150gr. and chambering.

I opened up the box to at the front and rear until I got a caliper reading of 3.340 and then took the feed ranmp down even with the front of the magazine (a very minimul amount) just so I had it at the Spec OAL in case I ever used handloads I didn't roll or heavier bullets.

I just measured 2 other yugo mags and both can be filed down and get the spec OAL on both of them the box will be a little thin but it will be in the stock 100% so I don't think this will be an issue or it hasen't been for me.

I don't know where this myth that they cant be used for 06 length cases without major mods comes from but it is incorrect.

Roy

Roy, 3.340" is only the cartridge oal. You cannot load a cartridge to 3.340" and have it fit the magazine. You need some clearance. Most every commercial '06 uses a magazine of 3.400". Anyway, yes, the M48 can be made into an '06. Heck, many factory rounds will fit with no mods. But, just try to fit a round of milsurp 150 grain FMJ into a magazine of 3.340". Handloaders that like to seat bullets out and those that may want to use ALL types of factory ammo cannot do so without extensive mods. Is it rocket science? No. But it ain't plug and play either. I say extensive because most folks want to screw on a barrel and go. Anything more and they are befuddled. To open the magazine to teh proper 3.400" length takes it out of the realm of easy and into avanced. That extra .060" is a lot. Here is what can happen if you get too thin on teh box:

magboxdentedInsi.jpg

If you are willing to limit yourself with regards to OAL then proceed. Many peole only want a ralatively short 150 grain bullet anyway. But why limit yourself? Heck, the .308 is a much easier conversion AND you will have an overly long magazine that will allow you to take FULL advantage of the cartridge's fll potential.

Z

I don't diagree with you , from the lee reloading manual 3.40 would even be too small for some loads (200gr imr4320) minimum OAL 3.440 but if I'm reloading it anyhow,I can equal the ballistics of that load with one with a minimum oal of 3.295 using a different powder(200gr accur 2700).There are 3 in the 200gr range that are 3.44 but none of the other weights come very close to the minimum oal 3.34 I also have shot cmp 30-06 through this with no feed issues. I can say I put various loaded gun show ammo through this to reclaim the brass and some did take a little nudge to chamber but nothing a little more polishing on the ramp would'nt fix.

Roy