Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Action Stuck In Stock

clinton66

I posted this on another forum, but need all the help I can get. I have a Winchester model 70 (post 64) that was my first gun. About 20 years ago, my Dad took the action out of the stock and slathered a bunch of raw linseed oil in the stock barrel channel and action inlet and tighthend the trigger to about 8lbs then put everything back together (I know he meant well). Now that linseed oil has dried and hardened and basically glued the action to the stock. I have reomved all the action screws and I tried dribbling in mineral spirits into the joint between the metal and the wood and letting it creep in. It loosened the barrel channel a little but the area around the rear tang and recoil lug won't budge. Any tips? Someone else suggested putting the rifle in a freezer as a last resort and seeing if that will seperate it. Thanks, Matt.

Remove the action screws, bolt, triggerguard (if possible) and while holding the rifle upside down a few inches above your bed or the couch, try tapping on the barrel with a hammer handle or some other piece of wood. I've had to this once or two to break barreled actions loose after doing bedding jobs and it hasn't failed yet.

The key though is don't get too heavy handed and beat the tar out of it...all you're trying to do is jar the thing loose so just "tap" it. As long as you don't beat on the stock, you should be fine.

Try heating the metal with a hair dryer till its too hot to touch(this will soften the dried oil). Then try slaping the barrel up and/or tapping through the action screw holes with a large brass drift pin. Failing that, drizzle some liquid paint remover around the wood/metal joints. Veterinarians have syringes with curved plastic tips which are good for this. This will destroy the linseed oil it comes into contact with. Then try above procedure. Do this in a well ventilated area and use eye protection from splatters.

sucess! Used the hair dryer and after heating up for about 20 minutes was finally able to get her to give up the ghost. Lots of dried linseed oil and some kind of soft clear gel that was hardened to the action and stock. Not bedding compound and not dried linseed oil. Like old dried rubber. Oh well, looks like I'm going to have to bed the action now. Thanks for all the input, Matt.