Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Should I Modify This Gun Or Leave It Alone?

jac68984

I am brand new to this forum and new to the mauser scene. I was given an old mauser, and am kind of interested in using the action in a custom gun. However, not knowing much about this particular rifle, I thought it might be wise to seek some advice before tearing into the action. Here are some of the specs:

- starting with the obvious, the left side of the receiver is stamped "Mod. 98";

- on that same side, more towards the barrel, there is a very small Nazi eagle holding the swastika and a parts stamp ("1104" with what looks like a "g" just below it);

- on top of the receiver towards the barrel there is another eagle holding a swastika and the number "234" under it, below that in larger letters in "duv", and then an inch below that is the number "42". All parts have matching numbers.

The stock was cut off just above the collar that holds the gun strap. The action appears to be in great shape and is super smooth. Should I modify this rifle or is there some reason you would advise against it. Thanks in advance for your help.

jac68984,

Welcome.

I'm not a mauser expert as I don't collect "collectables" but look for something to sporterize.

I'm sure that some of the guys can tell you more about what you have. I'd first check all the stamped numbers on the metal

parts. See if they match. That will assign value and is a good place to start the assessment. The value is obviously decreased

by the stock being cut.

• 2 months later...
I am brand new to this forum and new to the mauser scene. I was given an old mauser, and am kind of interested in using the action in a custom gun. However, not knowing much about this particular rifle, I thought it might be wise to seek some advice before tearing into the action. Here are some of the specs:

- starting with the obvious, the left side of the receiver is stamped "Mod. 98";

- on that same side, more towards the barrel, there is a very small Nazi eagle holding the swastika and a parts stamp ("1104" with what looks like a "g" just below it);

- on top of the receiver towards the barrel there is another eagle holding a swastika and the number "234" under it, below that in larger letters in "duv", and then an inch below that is the number "42". All parts have matching numbers.

The stock was cut off just above the collar that holds the gun strap. The action appears to be in great shape and is super smooth. Should I modify this rifle or is there some reason you would advise against it. Thanks in advance for your help.

If the weapon in question has no import markings it could be a rare find. Alot of Vet bring backs from WW2. Check under the front of the barrel for an import stamp. K98 stocks are cheap and plentiful right now. You could find the correct type stock very easy online. IE, cupped, flat, Hardwood or laminate....

Send in some pictures for US to look at and I can tell you what it needs. If all else fails I am sure you could trade if for a Sporter or sell it here for cash.

• 4 weeks later...
duv", and then an inch below that is the number "42". All parts have matching numbers.

duv: 4333 2428y 242404 1942 Berlin-Lübecker Maschinenfabrik

Try this site: http://www.mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/kodyen.html

Since the stock is cut, it may be a "duffel bag cut" lots of GI's did that in order to bring home Mausers.

I agree with the fellas, if the bore is also good and it has no "import stamps" "CIA" or "Interarms", it would be worth your time to get a proper stock and sling and sell it. Or Keep it.

karl