Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Is Anyone Interested In Doing There Own Work Anymore?

bubbamauser

How many people would be interested in the procedures and steps to do their own work?  

65 members have voted

1. 1. Are you more interested in doing your sporterizing and gunsmithing yourself or having some one do it for you?

• I come here for how to help and experience from other members in performing gunsmithing my self
    • a perfect final product is more importand than DIY to me

Yes but i think it has some thing to do with the fact that i am on an apple computer.

james

hey Hey HEY! don't go blaming the most stable and user friendly OS widely available for your photobucket troubles! :P what seems to be the problem, sir? if your photo links are becoming dead, it can only be because the photo was moved in your photobucket account, or deleted. if you create albums and move previously posted photos into those albums, the link is no longer valid to any post you pasted those pictures in prior to the creation of the album. kind of a bummer, but it's not a MAC specific issue. :D

Hi Guys, Let me throw my $0.02 into the pot. I am a "Do it myself guy" and I'll try anything at least once. I am having fun building these rifles and I'm learning more each one I do. I have learned so much the posts on this board that I couldn't get from the books! One thing that is for sure, I have asked a lot of questions from the "Professional" and "non Pro" members and have never been blown off or made to feel small or dumb. That is how we learn. We don't get 40 years of experience in one bolt handle job. Some have the expertise, some have the equipment and some just have the desire to aspire! Learn what you can, keep what's important, leave behind what's not and move forward. It's not worth fightin over. I've made a few wonderful friends from this board. That's worth keeping too!

hey Hey HEY! don't go blaming the most stable and user friendly OS widely available for your photobucket troubles! :P what seems to be the problem, sir? if your photo links are becoming dead, it can only be because the photo was moved in your photobucket account, or deleted. if you create albums and move previously posted photos into those albums, the link is no longer valid to any post you pasted those pictures in prior to the creation of the album. kind of a bummer, but it's not a MAC specific issue. :D

Well i guess i should have used a capital "I" when i said I was on an apple an I was having difficulty not the Mac. My wife is learning me to be more better on it :D

Hi Guys, Let me throw my $0.02 into the pot. I am a "Do it myself guy" and I'll try anything at least once. I am having fun building these rifles and I'm learning more each one I do. I have learned so much the posts on this board that I couldn't get from the books! One thing that is for sure, I have asked a lot of questions from the "Professional" and "non Pro" members and have never been blown off or made to feel small or dumb. That is how we learn. We don't get 40 years of experience in one bolt handle job. Some have the expertise, some have the equipment and some just have the desire to aspire! Learn what you can, keep what's important, leave behind what's not and move forward. It's not worth fightin over. I've made a few wonderful friends from this board. That's worth keeping too!

I don't post much but I've frequented this board over the past few years and have learned a great deal from it. Like Waterdogz, I enjoy learning something new with each sporterizing project. My first project was a 25/06 where I removed the Mauser barrel, lapped the lugs, trued the face of the Yugo Mauser action, and glass bedded the barreled action into a fiberglass stock. The action was sent out to have the bolt handle welded on, the action drilled and tapped, the new A&B barrel chambered, and the completed action blued.

My second sporterizing project, a .220 Swift, found me doing my own chambering, glass bedding, finishing of a Boyds laminated stock, and cold bluing the action. The action was again sent out to have a bolt handle welded on and the action drilled and tapped. I find that I'm prouder of the way this second project came out because I did most of the work myself.

I'm now starting a 35 Whelen project where, in addition to the work done on my .220 Swift project, I plan to do my own drilling and tapping, will bed the barreled action it into a Richard's fancy black walnut stock, and will checker the stock. On this project, I'm particularly looking forward to learning how to checker as I've always admired the hand checkering found on custom rifle stocks. The bolt handle, however, will still be sent out to someone to have a new handle welded on. I don't see myself TIG welding any time in the foreseeable future as I can't seem to justify the cost of the TIG welding equipment plus the amount of time it would take to to learn how to use the equipment for the few guns that I will build as a hobbiest gunsmith.

I have read what everyone has said and see all sides of the discussion. As a first time builder here is where I stand.

I got a shot out K. Kales Turk that started me down this road. It was my first none U.S. mil surplus. I started to look for a replacement barrel and came accross the all this information. Feeling that it would be more fun to try something new I started on a 35 Whelen build. I quickly found that there were some skills and tools that are better left to an expert (aka Clemson). I would rather send a receiver out to be D&T properly and I don't know how to weld. As we all know Turks have varring barrel theads. I did'nt want to get a barrel that wouldn't fit and be stuck with it. Bill is getting the correct barrel and finish chambering it. He just got it last week.

I did a lot of things myself. Removed the stripper cilp hump and hand gaurd ring. I fitted a new FN bolt shroud and Bold trigger. I thinned the trigger gaurd. I think it is too thin but that is part of the learning curve. It took me 8 months to do this. I didn't have the time or money to dive in and knock it out in a few weeks.

I will see how this goes and maybe do another, I am already looking for the next donner receiver. The next build I will try to do more. I plan on joining the COOP when I think I am at that point in my skills.

Thanks Ralph

"A bad day hunting or fishing is always better than a good day at work."

post-3785-126425363188_thumb.jpg

post-3785-126425365401_thumb.jpg

post-3785-126425367589_thumb.jpg

post-3785-12642537102_thumb.jpg

Looking good rdm1962.

I think the same question can be posed for building hotrods or home improvements and the answers will be the same.

There will be some things that you will feel comforatble doing and some things you'd prefer to hire out. Somethings we simply cannot do without the proper tools. Often the cost of those tools cannot be justified given the limited use they will see.

If everyone had the funds for a fully outfitted shop and dedicated space then I'd expect everyone to do their own work or at least try. But, since few are so lucky, well........we do what we can.

I enjoy doing my own work. Four years ago, I never saw myself doing things like welding bolt handles or reaming guns. Joined this group, made friends with my mentor Tanglewood, and damn the things I have done. I'm now welding my own bolt handles on, drilling and taping my own guns, and chambering. I'm still learning how to checker stocks, maybe a few builds from now. 2-3 position safties are next on my list. I don't have a mil, but i have determination. Some day I would also like to rust blue, but for now Dura-coat works.

I never really did find things in life that I truly enjoyed or was proud of. After going down the wrong road in life, I found sporterizing. Wow, the enjoyment it brings, and the pride that it gives me. Its been a learning expierence, and one that is far from over. As long as i'm living, I'll be building. Doing my own work gives me pride, and also gave me that kick in the butt I needed. I can do anything if i put my mind to it. I love this hobby.

Brenden

Both RDM1962 and Brenden have echoed very similar reason why and how I got into this hobby and love doing it. The challenge, learning the skills, and pride of creating something unique. I know that I will not produce guild quality work for a long time, and maybe never, but it is goal I have set for myself and hope to be doing it for a long time and have lots of fun getting there.

I'm with 8uck5nort. Actually, if it wasn't for him I wouldn't have even known you could to this stuff. I find it very interesting and anxiously waiting to finish my first project and post it. I will probably never get as good as most of you but I enjoy it none the less.

Thanks for all the help and information you are all willing to provide.