Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Here It Comes

ken98k

Ouch that's cold! I spent a week in January about 10 years ago in Cold Lake Alberta, (apptly named) where it was -40 all week.

What I remember is that when it gets that cold they caution you about breathing too rapidly. You really have to be careful and breath slowly to let the air heat up as it goes into your lungs or you can fry the little little avioli sacs with frostbite. You could feel the little hairs in your nose freeze on every intake, and I went out to the car once with damp hair after a shower and my hair froze! (would have worn a hat, but was getting right into the car.)

Other than that as long as it wasn't breezy and you watched your exposed skin you could bundle up and it wasn't too bad. Kind of an interesting experience.

Ken that is unreal...is there a point that it's so cold you can't tell a difference between lets say -10 deg. vs -40 deg. I was always curious about that?

Tom

You can feel a difference. Especially when it's warming up. After a week or so of -40, -20 will feel warm and -10 will be shirt sleeves weather.

Here's how I see it,

0 to -10 is not bad at all.

-20 is cold but do-able.

-30 is GD cold.

From -40 to -60 is F-ing Cold. (That's what everybody says when they come inside)

-60 is the coldest I've seen, and I hope not see it again.

I started my service van at 6:00 this morning and It almost didn't catch. I'm going to leave it running until the temp gets back above -30.

It's supposed to warm up to +16 by tuesday. I sure hope they're right this time.

The temps have been hovering from -40 to -60 for a couple weeks now and it's really getting old.

My service van crapped out on wednesday night (fuel pump I think) and I couldn't get a tow until friday night, so I'm semi out of commision until it back on the road.