Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Dies For Epoxy Filler

tinkerfive

Many times I want to use an epoxy as a filler but getting the color I want isn't easy.

I know when guys bed with Acraglass that they have dies available.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Lowes, Home Depot, or maybe Rockler have dies.

Thanks

Tinker

I got some once from a local ACE hardware. I bought the black since I was doing a synthetic. it was where they sold the fiberglass repair kits. I could use an economy size in brown.

Many times I want to use an epoxy as a filler but getting the color I want isn't easy.

I know when guys bed with Acraglass that they have dies available.

I was wondering if anyone knows if Lowes, Home Depot, or maybe Rockler have dies.

Thanks

Tinker

Aniline dyes either water based to be used dry or alcohol based mixed with denatured

alcohol seemed to be the strongest according to tests done by West Systems Epoxy.

They did say that the dry powders were grainy compared to the dye mixed with alcohol,

though I suppose it doesn't matter on wood.

I remember reading somewhere that some guys use artist paint (I think acrylic) to color Accraglass. I haven't tried it, but if it works, it would be fairly cheap and color possibilities would be endless. The stuff that comes with the kit matches no wood I've ever seen or want to. I'll bet a few different tubes and you could make any shade. The stuff would be priced good at Pat Catans.

I've used sanding dust from different types of wood to color epoxy with some success. I keep it in old film canisters and mix it with those 5 or 15 min epoxys. Usually I have to choose a wood a couple of shades lighter than what I need to fill. The wood will darken when mixed with the epoxy. Once set and before it cures hard, I sand and then false grain the fill spot with a hobby knife. I come back and add dark lines with a fine Sharpie and smudge them with my finger. This usually blends it in pretty good. If I'm dealing with a real light wood like maple, I use those acrylic fillers tinted with acrylic artist colors. Its amazing how hard they cure.