Military Firearm Restoration Corner

$50 K98's

rustvyper

z, maybe rusty is referring to the extended front lug that sticks out? my 93 bolt looks like that, but the lugs on my 98's stop before the face of the bolt. yes? no?

heath

Heath,

Good catch, I totally didn't see that due to the pop up window not being properly sized. I can't see how the heck that would fit into a receiver with either a "C" or "H" ring? Did this receiver have a an internal torque ring?

Yeah, that was probably confusing. I didn't really know what I was talking about here. He was refering to the FN having the H config on the inside of the receiver. I was talking about something unrelated. Namely this:

post-3600-1233195121_thumb.jpg

Sorry for the confusion.

On another note. One of my 2 belgs has the H. Odd, huh?

Now that, is an oddity!

The rear half is 98ish but, there is no guide rail and it has a 93-96 bolt head. Thats really weird.

After further reflection that looks an awful lot like most Santa Barbara bolts I've seen with the exception of that extra material on the bolt lug. Specifically these look like some of teh Parker Hales that used Santa Barbara actions.

After further reflection that looks an awful lot like most Santa Barbara bolts I've seen with the exception of that extra material on the bolt lug. Specifically these look like some of teh Parker Hales that used Santa Barbara actions.

I agree that the bolt handle is common enough but the other end in combination with the handle is what's weird.

If you take a bolt and stick it in a 98 action you will see that that bolt could not fit into an action with a any kind of inner ring. The swedes for example don't have a ring and could fit that type of lug configuration. Makes me wonder if it isn;t one of those unfinished PH parts that have been floating around?

The early bird gets the worm (or mauser).

Rojelio

I just figured out my firewall was sending my century email specials to the junk section where I would delete them along with all the other spam.

Maybe next time.

• 3 months later...
I also understood the H ring to be from the 1950s sporters. It was to save cost in production.

Those must be post WWII because the Germans occupied the FN plant for most of the war.

Does anyone have some insight into this? Bilurey?

For what it's worth, I have a Columbian FN (a military Mauser) with the H-ring.

It's a sporter now but started life in the military and with the H-ring.

Don't remember seeing a date and the base covers most of what was visible on the ring.

My Dad built a .257 Roberts on it for me almost 20 years ago now.