Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Had A Good Deer Season.

ChasMike

Well I have a good lease about 40 miles from my house now, but I decided to hunt here by the house on opening day and then go to the lease the next weekend. That was a very good decision on my part. Saw a nice 7 point on opening morning but I passed on him since I had seen a bigger buck on my camera. Went back that evening and crawled into my blind and was unloading my pack when I looked up and this big boy was broadside at about 100 yards. Grabbed my gun and then realized I had not put a round in the chamber yet. I jacked a round in and as soon as I settled the scope on the lung area I let her fly. He ran about 20 or 30 yards into the brush and I gave him about 20 minutes and went in looking for him, he was laying down there but wasn't dead yet and he got up and took about 3 steps and jumped into the river. The river is pretty shallow there maybe waist deep so he ran and thrashed his way out to the middle of the river and layed down and died. Took me and a friend and a long rope and a pickup several hours to drag him out of the river and up a steep bank and over a fence and then thru the briars and brambles and to the truck. The two of us could not load him in the truck so I borrowed my neighbors loader and picked him up and loaded him into the truck. I don't know what he weighed but he was huge. By the way I shot him with a 6.5 swede carbine barrel on a turk action that I built a couple years ago, the bullet was a 130 grain TSX ahead of a stiff load of RL19.

13point-b.jpg

Also shot a real nice big doe at my new lease and the last day of deer season I took an offhand shot at a 125 lb sow running at about 100yards and I hit her right behind the ear with my 6mm turk that Sonic and I built a couple years ago. My wife was with me and she said "man that was a great shot" and I said "my dear that was not a great shot, that was a lucky shot."

Later,

Mike

Congrats man!

I had a decent season myself. I killed two antlerless and a hog. And I'm still hog hunting!

I also found a nice 7-pointer skull what the horns still in good shape. I'm going to do up a European mount and hang'em in the living room.

Congrats!! When is the barbecue?? Bad year for me. All big game in Arizona the permits are distributed by a lottery system. I didn't get drawn for Jack Sh!t. Closest I got this year was about 30 lbs of Elk meat from my lucky nephew. A classic example of beginner's luck. His first year he got drawn and nailed a huge buck opening morning about a 100 yards from his camp.

Thanks guys,

I have hunted all my life and all my sporterized mausers have taken deer, but nothing like this guy. He is going on the wall.

There really is something special about harvesting any animal with a weapon that you have built, especially using ammo that you loaded.

My wife and I are pretty much meat hunters. We process our own deer and pigs and make a lot of sausage and such. We raise a big garden and freeze or can a lot of veggies and make a lot of jelly and pickles and such. I even built us a small building out behind the house for canning and processing. I have never cared whether they had big antlers or not. They were just meat.

I said all that to say this.

Bring on them Big Bucks !!!

Way to go Mike! Goes to prove everythings better homegrown.I've hunted all my life too,and never shot a buck that big.He sure has some good mass.So,did you give up your Hill Country lease when gas got out of hand? Congrats on your deer,and it sure is good hearing from you again. Jerry

Jerry, I was wondering when you were gonna show up. Yeap I told them if gas got up over $4.oo a gallon I was gonna have to give it up. When I payed $4.11 a gallon one day last summer I called the landowners (who have become like part of our family) and they were very understanding about it. I called the other 3 guys on the lease and they were fine as a matter of fact they just split my part between the 3 and kept just the 3 on there. The landowners invited us down in feb or march to visit and said that we could go to their other property and see if we could get us an Axis. :)

I was very fortunate in that I met a new family that had just moved into town here, once I got to know the guy I found out that he is an ex game warden with a good lease on the Red River and needed one more guy. What a deal. Great lease and 40 miles away from home and the same price.

Been hunting here by the house for years and shot a few deer but this guy came outta nowhere. I had been watching a nice 10 on the game cam and thats the one I was looking for. I'll take a huge 13 point instead any day. Got a great big doe and a nice big sow at the new lease and passed on a big 9 point. Been a lot of good eatin goin on around here I'll tell you.

Later,

Mike

Lucky you. I live in NC and we had a very warm and wet Fall and winter so far. The deer would walk at night and food was very plentiful so they wouldnt even touch my corn or salt licks. Got 1 big doe for the season and spent alot of wasted time in the stand.