Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Garand Receiver?

montea6b

I ran across a couple Garand receivers today in the milsurp area of a local antique store after breakfast out with the family. He was asking $150 for one, but the price tag on the other was turned around and I didn't want to act too interested. (again the family was with me! <_< )

Anyhow, that seemed pretty reasonable, although I didn't check who made them. Some browsing on Gunbroker confirmed that the Springfields go for a lot more, although there are some other brands for around that. I've wanted a Garand for years, but have never taken the plunge. This might be a good excuse to put one together.

Questions:

1. Is $150 a pretty good deal?

2. Are there any manufacturers or serial number ranges to stay away from?

3. How much work is involved with installing and headspacing a barrel? (I have a 30-06 reamer, headspace gauges, and a barrel vise, but no Garand action wrench or lathe.)

4. Anybody have a rough price tag for a barrel, parts kit and stock?

5. Anything else to beware of? (i.e. not fully machined or heat treated rough castings... and what to look for to tell if this is the case)

• 2 weeks later...

FYI I went back to check them out again and they are Santa Fe receivers. Not real historical...

I have looked into the CMP rifles, and will probably eventually go this way. Kind of seems like my civic duty as a veteran to assume caretaker responsibilities for one of these old warhorses. I've wanted to do it for a while, just a little hard to justify with all my other priorities and projects.

One day...

FYI I went back to check them out again and they are Santa Fe receivers. Not real historical...

I have looked into the CMP rifles, and will probably eventually go this way. Kind of seems like my civic duty as a veteran to assume caretaker responsibilities for one of these old warhorses. I've wanted to do it for a while, just a little hard to justify with all my other priorities and projects.

One day...

Never heard of a santa fe who made it and where?

Mike,

I posed this question to some Garand experts a few months ago and was advised to ditch the idea of building a Garand and buy one from the CMP. Altough the parts are out there, they're not cheap and it would be much more cost effective in the long run to buy one from the CMP. You just can't build one in decent shape for what you can buy them preassembled for.

Such was the feedback I got.

-Jason

• 1 year later...

Montea6b-----I word on those Garand receivers...................RUN!!!!

Unless they were made by Springfield, Winchester, H & R or IHC, they are junk!! The ones you looked at are probably re-welds of cut up receivers. I've had an M1 for 20 years (Springfield Armory) and several books on them (that doesn't make me an expert though).

As others have said above, your best bet is through the CMP. Very good people to deal with and you get a shootable rifle.