Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Pics Of My .45-70 Barreled Action

I received my barreled action from ER Shaw and just wanted to share some pics.

Below is what I had done to the Siamese Mauser action:

Alter Siamese Mauser action for .45-70 cal.

True bolt face

True face of receiver

Lap locking lugs

Forge and polish bolt handle for scope

Drill and tap action for one piece Leupold mount

Supply and install Sportsman Timney Trigger

Supply and install Timney Low Safety

4140 20” barrel, 1 in 22” twist, # 3.5 contour

Fit and testfire barrel to action

Premium blued bead blast matte finish of rebarreled action

Not done yet as I still need to decide on a stock and the optics, but am getting pretty anxious to try it out!

Are there any other siamese mauser stock manufacturers in addition to Richards Microfit Gunstocks?

Thanks,

Ben

post-3910-1244643280_thumb.jpg

post-3910-1244643288_thumb.jpg

Wow! that barrel looks like a stovepipe. Lookin' good. Keep us updated.

Rojelio

Ken,

I hope you never drop it on your toe - it appears to have a pretty high sectional density.

I'd like to re-barrel a mauser bolt action with a nontraditional bolt action caliber some day. For no justiifiable reason I'd like to have a bolt action in 35 Rem. I have a used 35 Whelen barrel in the corner so I'll probably just re-barrel and soft load with SR4759. I also have a spare Remington Model 30 action. They originally came in 35 Rem in the 20's. Imagine that, a 35 Rem in such a stout action. I'm thinking a small ring would be preferable and less wasteful.

Ken,

These are the best pictures I could get at the moment. Your comments would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about gunsmithing.

If you would like some more pics let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

Ben, thanks for posting the photos. I started working on a Siamese conversion a couple years ago but lost interest in it after running into some technical difficulties. I put it up for sale last year but had no takers. Maybe one of these days I'll get back to it.

Forsale008.jpg

I probably don't know much more than you about gunsmithing but, most of what I've learned I got right here. There are some fantastic gun cranks that hang out here.

Ken,

Thanks for sharing the pic. Where did you pick up the stock?

The stock is a "modern classic" from Richards Micro-fit. The wood is called "black widow laminate."

• 4 weeks later...
Ken,

These are the best pictures I could get at the moment. Your comments would be greatly appreciated as I know very little about gunsmithing.

If you would like some more pics let me know.

Thanks,

Ben

FenderBender,

Would it be possible to post some pics of the action rails from the bottom of the action? I have on of these that is aching to be converted and would also like to know what Shaw did in the rail/feed lip area. It looks like it is cut on one side only. Also, the bolt face and extractor are of interest, too.

Thanks in advance

Ken

Ken, et al. I've done three and let my barrel guy do the rails on all. None look like the Shaw job, but rather look like standard magnum conversions. I have had to undercut the rails on one because the ctg is just so much bigger, but all works well.

I STILL can't post pics, but am working on it. If you need I can photo a couple and email to you. Just let me know.

Brad

I STILL can't post pics, but am working on it. If you need I can photo a couple and email to you. Just let me know.

Brad

May I be of some assistance?

Ken, et al. I've done three and let my barrel guy do the rails on all. None look like the Shaw job, but rather look like standard magnum conversions. I have had to undercut the rails on one because the ctg is just so much bigger, but all works well.

Brad

Thanks Brad. I will PM my email to you.

Ken

Hey Jason,

Ken got a hold of me (finally) and I'm going to email him some pics. However if anyone else wants to see them, then I think I'll have you rescue me once again.

Brad

• 2 weeks later...

**At Long Last**

Guys,

Brad emailed me some pics of his Siamese project and between mixed up emails and my work schedule I'm just now getting them online. Here goes:

Here's the difference between regular and 45-70 modified rails:

siam11.jpg

Here's how the smith that did the conversion handled the feedramp:

siam21.jpg

Here's a view of the entire action:

siam31.jpg

Here's a view of the bolt shroud and safety:

siam41.jpg

Here's another:

Siamesewaiting-1.jpg

Here's a shot showing the difference between a regular M98's firing pin and the Siamese's firing pin:

SiameseFPs.jpg

And last but no least, here's one I apparently already had squirreled away in the archives of Brad's finished handy work. I couldn't resist:

Siamesefull.jpg

Enjoy!

Jason

(Moderators: I moved this back up here to give it some air time with the latest pictures. I'll move it back in a few days. -J )

Jason,

Thanks for rescuing me again. I didn't remember that you had all those other pics, too.

Good job, no wonder you get to work here for free :lol:

Uh, come to think of it, it cost me money to do all the work in the pics...

Brad