Military Firearm Restoration Corner
Sign in to follow this  
z1r

94 Winchester

I just had to share my good fortune with you all.

I was brought a winchester '94 recently by a local gunshop. The customer's son had taken it apart about 25 years ago and never put it back together. Well, it turns out some of the internals were missing and would need to be replaced. I gave a quote based off Numrich's replacement cost and labor of course. Well, the owner did not want to shell out the money so he gave it to the shop owner. A few weeks later I was in his shop and walked out with the barrelled action for $30. Well, about six months have gone by and I finally accumulated all the missing parts for only $40ish. I can't wait to test fire it. Imagine, a decent 94 for under $75.

I'll try to snap a pic tomorrow.

Gee-wizz Mike

I thought that I might have gotten the best deal going, now I'm not too sure.

Similar story, only this time it was the father that took the gun apart.

Fully sporterized .243 Mauser.

The father took it apart 20+ years ago and the son sold it to me after the father died.

I had to repair some stock cracks and refinish, replace the extractor ( I couldn't get the original to hold a case )

and of course a scope and rings, it did come with weaver bases. Oh and I had to face off the breach to correct

excess head space.

Other than the scope my total investment outside of my time was about $110.

Tinker

Mike,

Outstanding! If/when I ever get the 94 Winnie I've had on layaway paid off at the local pawnbroker, we'll have to compare notes.

Any idea when your's was made? Is it top eject or side eject? Its not a saddle ring model is it?

Jason,

Best I can tell it was made in 1975. Despite the .30-30 being one of my favorite cartridges, up until two years ago, I'd never owned a Winchester. Then, a friend got in trouble and had to get rid of his guns. He gave me a '94 AE. That thing is a rattle trap. Makes so much noise I can't see taking it afield for fear of scaring off the animals. Then last year, a friend picked up a unique '94 for cheap. I commented on how I liked it as it was unusual. It was a 1901 receiver with cresent buttplate mated to a model 64 barrel. Long skinny 24" barrel. He took that '94 to a gunshop for some sort of service. Well, the hack that was working there buggered up the mag tube. Scratched the heck out of it. I was over at his house and he showed me. I could tell he was really upset still. He was so mad that he sold it to me on the spot for $100. You'll never pry that gun out of my collection. I tried to give him more $$ but he wouldn't accept. Then, last month, a customer saw a rifle I was trying to sell. He asked if I was open to trades. Long story short, he got an 1891 Argentine (and some gunsmithing) and I got a '94 Big Bore in .375 Win.

If ya haven't noticed, next to mausers my favorite type of rifle is a lever gun.

Tinker, dontcha love buying a complete rifle for less than the cost of a receiver!

My first center fire rifle was a Winchester model 94 in 30-30. It was $69.00 from K-mart.

I gave it to my oldest son after he returned from the war in Iraq.

They used to be plentiful around here but not now.

Ken,

Since Winchester stopped making the 94 they have started selling for a good deal more around here. My $75 jem has some rough edges but is in much better shape than a similar vintage example I saw selling for $400 Saturday.

My first centerfire rifle was a Glenfield 30A, the cheap version of the Marlin 336. I shot a lot of deer with it.

Long story short, he got an 1891 Argentine (and some gunsmithing) and I got a '94 Big Bore in .375 Win.

If ya haven't noticed, next to mausers my favorite type of rifle is a lever gun.

Tinker, dontcha love buying a complete rifle for less than the cost of a receiver!

A .375. I'm so envious, I admit. For some strange reason i've often thought of building one since i cant ever find an old Winchester. My just have to undertake this project now, a 375 on a mauser, this could get costly. :rolleyes:

Did manage to get a 30-30 here a few weeks ago. $150 for a Stevens Model 325-A or B i can't recall. Its got the butter-knife bolt handle on it. Sharp looking gun for a stevens, in dam near mint condition. First 30-30 i've ever had or shot for that matter. The gun digest listed an awful high appraisal for it,couldn't see it being worth $325 (don't quote me on that, memory is lacking this evening). its hard to find a decient gun for under $200. Figure I did o.k.

Brenden

My first centerfire rifle was a Glenfield 30A, the cheap version of the Marlin 336. I shot a lot of deer with it.

Same with me only it was my first new rifle. Got it with a Glenfield marked scope that died years ago. The cost with scope in 1971 was 79.95 and my then wife got a 10% employee discount. Had I only waited another week the store my X worked at got Remington 788's in with Universal brand scope for the same price. The 788's came in 22/250, 243, 30/30 and 308.

I got the best Winchester 94 deal on earth:

0c797c92.jpg

This is what it looked like (I disassembled it for these photos) when I got it for free from a gunsmith that had it laying in the corner of his shop for a few years...

32a1c200.jpg

03fc62a2.jpg

Some elbow grease, $40 to have it electroless nickel plated (through a friend), and new set of Marble's sights and I can't explain it but this rifle groups so good that you would have to witness it to believe it.

Every once in a while a guy steps into a pile that isn't crap.

I have a $30 Mauser sporter.

I paid $15 for a stripped receiver, $15 for an ejector box, and the rest was built out of extra parts I had laying around.