Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Bad Day At The Range.

karlunity

I went to the range and could not hit anything.

Rifles: A Vz-24

58 cap and ball

Range 100 meters firing from sandbags

Target NRA small bore

I was firing .570 round ball patched lube Crisco charge 30 to 60 grains BP.

I could not get the shot placement on target, either they were too high and hit the upper target or too low and hit dirt.

The groups were about 2 to 3 inches but the placement stank.

The VZ- 24 has been a pain since I got it.

The bore looks good and the lands strong and sharp, but it grouped like a shot gun at 25 meters.

I re crowned and counter-bored and it shot well for a while, Moa at 100 meters from sand bags, but soon went bad and was again counter-bored , again good for a while but after a few hundred rounds went bad.

Today, I could not get it on the paper.

It annoys me as I went to extra effort to pick it out, normally, I just pick the first rifle feels right, this time I was being

"scientific".

I think that it is gonna be spare parts, which is a shame as it has a nice trigger.

It needs a new barrel, I think, but I don't have the tools for that work and I am too annoyed with it to pay a couple of hundred bucks to have the work done.. get the darn rifle back and have it develop another problem...I don't trust it.

Karl

so you're gonna spread all that bud luck over several guns!?!?!?! that's not a parts gun, my friend, that thing is gunbroker material! don't infect any of your other guns with it's bad juju! pawn in off on some poor SOB on the internet!

=)

"pawn in off on some poor SOB on the internet!"

Naw, I gave that some consideration, but I would not wish this on anyone.....welll, if some of the lefty's I know took up shooting... : )

karl

Karl before you give up on the 58 try some mini-balls. Search the net and see if you can use a stiffer powder charge. Are you using real black powder?? You will likely have to adjust the sights to your favorite load. The factory may have set the sights for the newer contraptions, the combination loads with the plastic wad, slug and a mild load of Pyrodex pellets. I prefer mini-balls for casual shooting to avoid the mess. I pre-lube with generous amounts of Lee Liquid alox and motor mica. The Lee lube depending on the temperature will be a bit sticky but you don't have to deal with greasy hands. My blind shooting bud's 58 Zouave is not a tack driver but once we got it sighted in for 100 yards I'd be perfectly confident taking it deer or elk hunting.

Karl your VZ reminds me of the many Spanish rifles I've had over the years. Bore looks good but doesn't shoot worth a darn. Slug the bore and see how big the bore size actually is. Many of the Spanish rifle bores looked good and sharp but were well worn.

Hello Az.

I think that I have a bottle of Lee Liquid alox around.

I will give it a try.

As to mini balls, I cannot find any.

I have the "plains" bullets from Horndy and their .570 round shot.

Hello Wayne.

The darn Vz..I cannot do the "bullet in the muzzle as the darn thing is counter-bored.

I free floated it....it just wont shoot. Parts..

A few years ago TYRVR, before he passed on, offered to re-barrel it and I should have listened, but I figured it was fixed.

Karl