Military Firearm Restoration Corner

An Update From Roscoe...

roscoedoh

Hello all,

I haven't been as active around here as I used to be because I've been busy. So, much the same as Horsefly a couple months back, I thought I'd give you all an update on Roscoe.

This year has been incredibly busy. I enrolled in an industry recognized professional certificate program that I'm working on through my company. This occupies my free nights.

About six months ago I became the chapter advisor to my local college fraternity chapter. That has also commandiered many of my evenings and I have found that to be a rewarding experience.

I am getting increasingly active with the local masonic logdes in my area. I am an officer in both lodges I'm a member of and I may affiliate with a third. I am also trying to learn my masonic work well enough to teach and have a student that I'm trying to get through his first degree work.

Lastly, and most importantly, I got a wild hair around the first of October and went house hunting. Two months and a mountain of paperwork later, I am typing this post from the living room of my new house. It is more or less what I wanted - three bed, two bath, brick home, in the country. I only paid $55/sq ft for it. Now all I have to do is unpack the upteen million boxes that are stacked everywhere and I'll be set. I guess then I can get on to figuring out why the shower leaks and building that retaining wall I know I'll need.

All in all, 2009 has been a real busy year for me both professionally and personally. I haven't gotten to do much hunting and no gun work. I am hoping though that I'll be able to get back to important things - like stock work - next year actually get something done!

Hope all you guys are all on the up and up.

-Jason aka Roscoedoh

Welcome back. It is amazing how many forms you have to have to buy a house.

Buying easy, refinancing is crazy. We're in the process and I can't believe the documents they want. I feel violated.

Congrats Jason. Sounds like its been a good year for you. I'll have to stop by next year when I get down that way.

Yes it is amazing how many forms you have to fill out. My father gifted me $3500 to put towards closing and expenses, seems pretty easy right? It took no less that six pieces of paper accompanying that gift to make it righteous in the lender's eyes. Absolutely nuts right?? This brought to you by the same professionals who wrecked the financial establishment in our country. <_<

I also have roughly 1.5" inches of forms that I had to sign my name or initial...my signing hand is still sore!

But hey, its all been worth it. My house has lots of fix-its to do, but its mine and I don't have to fix some crummy, drafty rent house anymore!

Mike,

Come on over. I'll have to give you directions, but you're more than welcome. I'll finally have room and hopefully I'll be unpacked by then!

Take care all!

Jason

Yes it is amazing how many forms you have to fill out. My father gifted me $3500 to put towards closing and expenses, seems pretty easy right? It took no less that six pieces of paper accompanying that gift to make it righteous in the lender's eyes. Absolutely nuts right?? This brought to you by the same professionals who wrecked the financial establishment in our country. <_<

I also have roughly 1.5" inches of forms that I had to sign my name or initial...my signing hand is still sore!

But hey, its all been worth it. My house has lots of fix-its to do, but its mine and I don't have to fix some crummy, drafty rent house anymore!

Mike,

Come on over. I'll have to give you directions, but you're more than welcome. I'll finally have room and hopefully I'll be unpacked by then!

Take care all!

Jason

I'm very happy for you. You've worked hard and it is paying off!!!! Hard work=payoff. Too bad most folks don't get that.

I hope to take you up on that next year.

Huh?! Ya shoulda just stuck the "gift" in your checking account and called it yours...

I just refinanced, it was actually a piece of cake.

Well, it was with one bank. I had a home equity line of credit with the first bank to make some repairs. I thought I'd use them for the refi since I had just provided my life's history for the loan a couple months prior, (plus we also use them for checking and savings) so I thought the refi would be pretty streamlined. When it came down to it they said "please fill out this application and we need these documents, etc..." My response was "Gee, don't you already have all this?" They came back with "You have to follow the process..."

So I called the bank that carries the primary mortgage, (almost 4 years old) and asked what they required and they spent 5 minutes on the phone asking if everything was still current, (do you have the same job? still married? any more kids?) and told me they'd call when the docs were ready.

Still had mountains of paper to sign... they could have put just about anything in front of me and I would have signed it.

Anyhow, congrats Jason!

• 4 weeks later...

Way to go Jason! I too have been so busy it's hard to find time to sleep.I've been remodeling a completely gutted house,but am getting close to being finished.It's always been my way of thinking that when folks finally buy a house,they're on their way to better times.You think you might have screwed up buying a house you think you probably can't afford(at least I did)but your actually making money that there's no way you could have ever saved on your own.There's just too many hands grabing at every dollar you make,but they can't touch your equity.I bought my first house in 1975 on a 30 yr. note,and paid it off maybe a year early.Then we sold it and bought this house and paid cash.My youth is gone,but so is all my debt,all because of that first little house.It's faster buying a house than a car when there's no leanders involved.Just don't get to busy to enjoy your home.I hope you have room for a workshop.Maybe when Mike drops in,you could holler at me.I've been to Lufkin and Nac.many times,so I could find you.Concrats little buddy.Your heads on perfectly square and level. Jerry