Military Firearm Restoration Corner

1891 Mauser Build How?

harley berry

This is my first mauser, and I want to do a custom sniper style build with aftermarket parts. whats the largest cal. barrel I can put on this rifle, without changing or modifing my stock bolt? I am new here and as I stated this is the first mauser i ever owned, and want to build a big bore long distance shooter?

I'll bite.

You've got a great rifle for just about any modification you'd want to do other than a long range sniper rifle.

Save your 91 for a hunting rifle - it's perfect for any standard Mauser cartridge you might want to chamber (I wouldn't run them too hot).

For a long range rifle on a Mauser action you'll need at least a standard-length (not intermediate) 1898 action. These are still plentiful and reasonably priced. This would allow you chamber -06 class fairly easily, and magnums without too much more extra work.

But you're interested in mags for long-range work, and will probably be better off finding a Savage or Remington 700 already in 300 mag (or maybe 7 mm). Personally, I'd go with the Savage, they come with good triggers. Being the mild sort that I am, I'd probably go with a 308 or (more likely) 30-06 for sniping, 300 mag or 7 mm mag if I was feeling like ammo availability wouldn't be an issue. You're probably thinking of some more exotic magnum, which is fine. You'll need a range finder and practice in any case. A standard commercial magnum action (still available at Wal-Mart, but for how long?) will handle about anything short of the 50 BMG, which of course would be a REAL long range sniper's rifle.

I'll bite.

You've got a great rifle for just about any modification you'd want to do other than a long range sniper rifle.

Save your 91 for a hunting rifle - it's perfect for any standard Mauser cartridge you might want to chamber (I wouldn't run them too hot).

For a long range rifle on a Mauser action you'll need at least a standard-length (not intermediate) 1898 action. These are still plentiful and reasonably priced. This would allow you chamber -06 class fairly easily, and magnums without too much more extra work.

But you're interested in mags for long-range work, and will probably be better off finding a Savage or Remington 700 already in 300 mag (or maybe 7 mm). Personally, I'd go with the Savage, they come with good triggers. Being the mild sort that I am, I'd probably go with a 308 or (more likely) 30-06 for sniping, 300 mag or 7 mm mag if I was feeling like ammo availability wouldn't be an issue. You're probably thinking of some more exotic magnum, which is fine. You'll need a range finder and practice in any case. A standard commercial magnum action (still available at Wal-Mart, but for how long?) will handle about anything short of the 50 BMG, which of course would be a REAL long range sniper's rifle.

Words of wisdom, that's a fact!..............Scott

Harley, I'm a little puzzled at your post. You used "big bore" and "sniper" in the same post. These two don't normally go together. Do you really want a big bore, or are you looking for something flat shooting?

I think you need to decide what you really want to do with this rifle to determind how much power you need. Do you want to reach out and touch critters, (if so, what size?) or just punch holes in paper for fun?

You should also decide how much you want to spend and what you can do for yourself. If you are willing to spend some bucks then the first thing I would do is get a different action. You could spend a lot of time, effort, and $ converting it to a big bore and still just have an 1891.

If you just want a low budget "sniper style" rifle for fun shooting then I would stick to the original chambering and go crazy with the stock and any mods needed for a scope. The further away from the original chambering you go the more work it is to get everything right.