Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Nagant

weaver77

I was just given a nagant that has a hex reciever and is marked new england westinghouse on the barrel what model is this?

Thanks, James

James there is a good chance it is a 30/06. Czarist Russia ordered Nagant rifles from Westinghouse and before the order could be completed the Russian Revolution occurred. Westinghouse stuck with many rifles that were never shipped or paid for converted many to 30/06 and dumped them on the USA civilian market. If it is not marked "30/06" a chamber cast is a must and for maximum accuracy you might want to slug the barrel to find the bore size. If it is an 06 accuracy will be "minute of deer", the phrase Z likes to use. Similar to shooting 06 in a converted 7.65 Argie. If it measures .310 or larger. Reloaded ammo with bullets suitable for 303 Brit will tighten the group size.

It is my understanding the Westinghouse Nagants have some desirability to collectors and will a have higher value than the numerous Nagants on the market today. Congrats Great Find!!

James there is a good chance it is a 30/06.

Well If it is I wouldn't be shooting it.

I've heard that such Nagets have, well lets say, a structural integrity issue.

The root of the issue is that in metric terms the barrel taper is fine for a 54MM long case but,

a 30-06 is considered a 63MM long case. The barrel gets too thin near the shoulder of the 30-06 and

sometimes, well lets say 'vents' at that point.

If it is reworked to handle the 30-06 you could certainly re-barrel it with something better suited.

I don't think that there was any issue with the action. I think the issue was strictly with the barrel.

Take a look at how the Nagant barrel tapers just forward of the receiver over the chamber and do some

measurements to see what the wall thickness would be at the shoulder of a 30-06.

Safety first!

Tinker

the majority of them are still in 7.62x54r only a very small quantity of them were converted to 30-06.

if it was converted to 30-06 it will be very easy to spot without having to do a chamber cast.

the barrel had to set back about 3/4" for a 30-06 reamer to clean up a 7.62x54r chamber.

there will be a large gap in the stock at the barrel shank. setting the barrel back that far put the end of the chamber out past the barrel shank making them unsafe. quite a few people still shoot them with low power cast bullet loads.

the bolt face will also have a bushing & the magazine will be flattened out to fit the 30-06 case.

i have one of the bannerman conversions. i might make some reduced capacity cases for cast bullets & put a few rounds down it eventually.

barrel shank

bannermanbarrelsetback.jpg

flattened magazine

bannermanmagazine.jpg

bushed bolt head next to original bolt head for comparison

bannermanbolthead.jpg

thanks for the replies i knew i could count on yall i am nagant illiterate but i am catching on it is a 7.62 x 54 but the bore looks terrible i may try and find a good barrel for it and the stock has a couple of cracks that need to be repaired but they are not major i been busy hunting and havent had a chance to take or post pics but i will try to in the next couple of days

thanks, james