Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Turkington 7Mm Rem. Mag

Rojelio

I managed to throw one together before I get back to work on my shop. I still need to mount a scope and go shoot it. I want to do the spider web treatment on this stock. Does anyone know where to get the webbing spray paint. I think Krylon makes it, I just don't know where to get it. The stock is OD green (actually moss it's the closest I could find).

Here is a few pics.

MVC-121S.jpg

MVC-121S.jpg

MVC-121S.jpg

Good looking gun. Now for a list of questions...is the barrel SS? and what kind of finish do you have on the rest, kinda looks like parkerizing...Bolt looks very good as well, another example of your excellent forging jobs/shaping to the teardrop look? Very nice work. Should make a nice long range hog knocker. Well done!

Brenden

Good looking gun. Now for a list of questions...is the barrel SS? and what kind of finish do you have on the rest, kinda looks like parkerizing...Bolt looks very good as well, another example of your excellent forging jobs/shaping to the teardrop look? Very nice work. Should make a nice long range hog knocker. Well done!

Brenden

Barrel is a SS Rem. new takeoff, Stock is a Butler Creek, GPC bottom metal that I bought a long time ago and didn't like so I didn't use it till now. Finish on the action is Gun Kote baked on finish. Supposed to be stainless color, but, as you can see, turned out a little darker. The bolt handle is actually a handle that I had cut off of an 03 Turk. I like the Oberndorf shaped knob, so I reused the handle. The action is glassed in and the barrel is free floated. I glassed in two sections of aluminum arrow shaft into the barrel channel to stiffen it up. I reshaped the stock a little and replaced the rock hard recoil pad with a decelerator and added a Timney featherweight deluxe trigger. Other than that, I think it's ready (besides the spider web paint).

I want to do the spider web treatment on this stock. Does anyone know where to get the webbing spray paint.

I went to the second hand store ( Goodwill ) and got a few old lace table cloths.

You can throw the table cloth over the stock in different directions and spray through the table cloth.

I got cloths with different patterns. I was thinking of using a different pattern for different colors

( brown, gray, light / dark green, black ).

Tinker

I went to the second hand store ( Goodwill ) and got a few old lace table cloths.

You can throw the table cloth over the stock in different directions and spray through the table cloth.

I got cloths with different patterns. I was thinking of using a different pattern for different colors

( brown, gray, light / dark green, black ).

Tinker

Thanks Tinker, that's a good idea. I located some of the Krylon webbing paint, though. I'll try to get some of that first.

http://www.misterart.com/crafts/decorative-painting/faux-finishing/krylon-webbing-spray-faux-finish.html

Roger

Yes with a Czech bolt.

Looks great.

I've been sitting on a stainless Rem take-off in .300 winmag for several years.

a few years ago there were several threads about building magnum rifles on sr shank turks.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1580

Edited to add link

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=2415&st=0

Looks great.

I've been sitting on a stainless Rem take-off in .300 winmag for several years.

a few years ago there were several threads about building magnum rifles on sr shank turks.

http://www.sporterizing.com/index.php?showtopic=1580

I'll get Weaver to shoot it first :D . No, really, I'll let you know how it works out.

I got a little carried away with the webbing paint. I figured if a little was good, a lot would be better. Oh well, it is what it is. The next one will be better. The barrel appears to be a winner. It renewed my faith in Rem. takeoffs. First range session went without a hitch. Everything worked as planned. No problems with the small ring barrel.

I'll put some more rounds through it in another week or so.

Ken, I think you ought to go ahead with your 300 mag project. I don't see a problem.

Here's a pic.

MVC-131S.jpg

I think the webbing looks just fine. I probably will do the 300 when I get a few other project caught up. I've been messing around with a couple AK-47s that have distracted me.

I'm really surprised that some of the other posters have not jumped on this thread. This was was a hot topic a few years ago. I only know of one other member to build a

short belted magnum on a K-Kale, (a .300win mag) and he's still alive.

Get Weaver to shoot it a few more time before I start mine! :P

I think the webbing looks just fine. I probably will do the 300 when I get a few other project caught up. I've been messing around with a couple AK-47s that have distracted me.

I'm really surprised that some of the other posters have not jumped on this thread. This was was a hot topic a few years ago. I only know of one other member to build a

short belted magnum on a K-Kale, (a .300win mag) and he's still alive.

Get Weaver to shoot it a few more time before I start mine! :P

Yeah still alive, Rifle still shoots. Ken Thanks for the link to the post over on gunco I'm a resentful Pr$#k and haven't been here for a long while. Nice too see your work Rojelio, next build a 30-06 m48 and your piss everyone off :P (long story for another time)

Roy

Roger,

Just curious, will that bolt handle clear a scope as is, or will you have to dish it out?

It looks really good and is remeniscent of a Talley. I'm on my fifth Talley and have had to dish each one out, even for a Leupold.

Doesn't really matter much, I guess, just wish I didn't have to do it.

You rifle looks really good. Great job!

Brad

Roger,

Just curious, will that bolt handle clear a scope as is, or will you have to dish it out?

It looks really good and is remeniscent of a Talley. I'm on my fifth Talley and have had to dish each one out, even for a Leupold.

Doesn't really matter much, I guess, just wish I didn't have to do it.

You rifle looks really good. Great job!

Brad

Never had to do that with a talley, what ring base set up are you using?

Don

Leupold FN bases and Leupold Medium rings. Clears with room to spare. Just weld it on low enough and no problem. Also, I stay away from scopes with European ocular lenses. Stick with Leupold, Weaver classics, and in this case a Japanese Tasco. Sometimes 1/4" difference in ocular diameter. That's a lot when you're trying to get a bolt handle to clear.

Don, lows and mediums. Am I doing something wrong?

Brad

You can place the handle lower when welding to eliminate scupting the handle. shift it down and you can cut a flat on the backside if you don't want to cut a deep notch in the receiver.

Don

• 11 months later...

Yeah still alive, Rifle still shoots. Ken Thanks for the link to the post over on gunco I'm a resentful Pr$#k and haven't been here for a long while. Nice too see your work Rojelio, next build a 30-06 m48 and your piss everyone off :P (long story for another time)

Roy

I am glad I am not the only who believes/knows that one can build a 30-06 on a Yugo action. The only reason I haven't done it to show up the nay sayers is that I only have one Yugo action left, and I think that will be a 308.