Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Wanted To Brag A Little...

rustvyper

...about my dumb luck! Went to a gun auction this weekend with 1261 items! talk about a good (but expensive) time.

400+ of the guns were from an estate collection, & he apparently was a huge WWII collector. I bought a savage 720 without inspecting it because it was an insanely good deal, ended up getting it for $188 after 17% buyer’s fee & taxes. Got it home & realized that it had US ordinance flying bomb & P proofs. Looked it up & come to find out I got myself a Savage M720 purchased for MP's & aerial gunnery practice during WWII. Most were given to municipal police departments after the war so there are few originals left. Starting asking price for a fair condition all-original? $700, could fetch as high as $1100 for a nice condition one like mine. Coulda knocked me over with a feather!

Anyway, guessing it was part of the guy's WWII collection & someone didn't do their due diligence!

There were tons of good deals flowing across the stage. Coulda made a lot of $ if I had around $5k to spend. :)

Some really stupid deals too. Saw a m48a sold as a "german WWII mauser" for $250 final bid (+17% premium & tax!)

Also saw a beauuuutiful sporterized mauser in 224 clark go for $725 & another 1895 in 257 imperial for $1000. Some nice sporterized springfield 1903's too. One in banjo wood stock that only went for $200 b/c the auctioneer didn't know what caliber it was. Had to bite my hand on that one as I had already spent a grand! :)

...about my dumb luck! Went to a gun auction this weekend with 1261 items! talk about a good (but expensive) time.

400+ of the guns were from an estate collection, & he apparently was a huge WWII collector. I bought a savage 720 without inspecting it because it was an insanely good deal, ended up getting it for $188 after 17% buyer’s fee & taxes. Got it home & realized that it had US ordinance flying bomb & P proofs. Looked it up & come to find out I got myself a Savage M720 purchased for MP's & aerial gunnery practice during WWII. Most were given to municipal police departments after the war so there are few originals left. Starting asking price for a fair condition all-original? $700, could fetch as high as $1100 for a nice condition one like mine. Coulda knocked me over with a feather!

Anyway, guessing it was part of the guy's WWII collection & someone didn't do their due diligence!

There were tons of good deals flowing across the stage. Coulda made a lot of $ if I had around $5k to spend. :)

Some really stupid deals too. Saw a m48a sold as a "german WWII mauser" for $250 final bid (+17% premium & tax!)

Also saw a beauuuutiful sporterized mauser in 224 clark go for $725 & another 1895 in 257 imperial for $1000. Some nice sporterized springfield 1903's too. One in banjo wood stock that only went for $200 b/c the auctioneer didn't know what caliber it was. Had to bite my hand on that one as I had already spent a grand! :)

"Had to bite my hand on that one as I had already spent a grand!" What else did you get?