Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8Mm Accuracy

Paul Stuart

Vlad that is an awesome rifle and if mine does that well at 100 yds I will be very pleased!!!! I would love to find a stock like that only in a mannlicher style. I love those old german sporters like that. I have decided to keep the original barrel and ts at the gunsmith having a winchester style safety and tapped for a scope. I hope to make it resemble your rifle though. LOL

• 6 months later...

Vlad that is an awesome rifle and if mine does that well at 100 yds I will be very pleased!!!! I would love to find a stock like that only in a mannlicher style. I love those old german sporters like that. I have decided to keep the original barrel and ts at the gunsmith having a winchester style safety and tapped for a scope. I hope to make it resemble your rifle though. LOL

I was given my dad's 1941 Berlin 8mm Mauser. It had been sportirized almost 45 yrs ago and hadn't been fired in 20 years. I purchased some Hobb's bore cleaning solvent, a nice wire reem and cleaned it for a good hour. I mounted a new Nikon 3 x 9 Pro Staff scope and at 100 yards put a 3 shot group all in the read. That's a 7/8" group with Winchester Super-X 170 grain factory loads. This is the best group of all my long guns including a 270 A-Bolt and Rem 700 7mm-08!

Guest Mr.mauserhowzer

Well I just dropped the old warhorse off at the gunsmith to have it drilled and tapped for a scope, new butter knife bolt handle installed, and a model 70 style safety installed!!!!! Im pretty excited about it. Thanks to you guys I decided to keep the 8mm barrel. I did have him to make sure the head space was correct and bolt face was in good order. My dad is a hard core Model 70 man and my wife dont give a crap about it so you guys are the only people I have to tell about it. LOL Now I cant wait to get it back and do my best to burn the rifling out of it!!!

Guest Mr.MauserHowzer

You gotta compare apples to apples.

8mm mauser is in the leauge with 7x57, 270, 30.06, 308

Yeah it has a "rainbow" if you compare it to a magnum caliber, but magnums have side effects, like high cost, recoil, noise, burns a lot of powder, and costs $$$$. You cant beat an 8mm in my book!

Well I just dropped the old warhorse off at the gunsmith to have it drilled and tapped for a scope, new butter knife bolt handle installed, and a model 70 style safety installed!!!!! Im pretty excited about it. Thanks to you guys I decided to keep the 8mm barrel. I did have him to make sure the head space was correct and bolt face was in good order. My dad is a hard core Model 70 man and my wife dont give a crap about it so you guys are the only people I have to tell about it. LOL Now I cant wait to get it back and do my best to burn the rifling out of it!!!