Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Butter Knife Bolt Handle?

Paul Stuart

Im having some work done to my Oberndorf 8mm. One of the things bein done is having the butter knife style bolt handle welded on. Has anyone ever used one of those? I liked the looks of it cause I like the old german sporters but I dont know how comfortable they are to use, and handle with gloves on. Anyone ever used one very much? I hope I dont hate it

Im having some work done to my Oberndorf 8mm. One of the things bein done is having the butter knife style bolt handle welded on. Has anyone ever used one of those? I liked the looks of it cause I like the old german sporters but I dont know how comfortable they are to use, and handle with gloves on. Anyone ever used one very much? I hope I dont hate it

I have eight or so Austrian and German sporting rifles with these type handles. They look great but are harder to use. Make your first shot count.

Vlad

i have 4 rifles with them.

two mannlicher schoenauer 1903/14's, a mauser and a springfield 1903 and only like them on my two mannlicher schoenauer 1903/14's. on my mannlichers you just raise you hand straight up after you pull the trigger and the bolt handle hits you palm just right. one of the problems with them might be people try to tuck them in to close to the stock. both the mauser and the springfield are closer than my manlichers and just don't feel right compared to my mannlichers

Do you think it would be a good idea to ask the smith to try to make sure it isnt tucked too close to the stock? I dont want to be one of those customers that drives him crazy but once its on its on.

Paul S

I dont know why Im worried about that cause Ive never shot more than once at any kind of big game!!!!! LOL Thats the problem with doin custom stuff is you get carried away with silly details that probably wont matter. LOL I will trust he has experience enough to do the best it can be done and leave him alone.