Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Garand On Its' Way

tinkerfive

Got my Spring SOG flier the other day and ordered one of the Garands.

I've wanted one for some time but at prices of $500+ I've passed up until now.

They must have gotten a deal to sell them at $429 or I'm in for an unpleasant surprise when it arrives.

I'm looking for Garand specific care / maintenance / trouble shooting info.

If y-all can point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

Tinker

NICE CATCH!! Afraid I can't point you toward care or maintenance manuals but if you search the net you will likely find some groups such as ours that deal with M-1's. Somebody posted a link here in the past year or so that had many US manuals in PDF files. You might find it in a search or maybe somebody will post it again.

Back then the 30-06 was a 30-06. There wasn't a SAAMI and NATO. So, a standard -06 gauge should work. However, I have read that Garands sometimes tend to have generous chambers. No big deal. Use standard 30-06 reloading dies too.

As for the stock. That blackness is most likely aged BLO(boiled linseed oil) which darkens with age and oils from hands and gun oil. You can strip it with any commercial degreaser, such as Purple Power, Orange Power, CitriStrippre furniture paint remover, or my favorite...............the dishwasher. Does a great job, including steaming the dents out.

Tinker, I am looking for a Garand also, need new toy! I was going to go through CMP, just applied for the local club so I can buy.

Does the source you used have a similar deal? Are the prices or condition better? Would you email me the info?

Thanks,

Brad

Tinker, I am looking for a Garand also, need new toy! I was going to go through CMP, just applied for the local club so I can buy.

Does the source you used have a similar deal? Are the prices or condition better? Would you email me the info?

Thanks,

Brad

It got here Friday. Kind of dirty, a little rusty on the butt plate, barrel shot out, two mystery holes

drilled through the stock into the mag well. I'm kind of wishing that I'd have poped for the extra $20 hand

picked.

Southern Ohio Gun 1 800 944 4867

Stock # SLG-M1GA

Tinker

It got here Friday. Kind of dirty, a little rusty on the butt plate, barrel shot out, two mystery holes

drilled through the stock into the mag well. I'm kind of wishing that I'd have poped for the extra $20 hand

picked.

Southern Ohio Gun 1 800 944 4867

Stock # SLG-M1GA

Tinker

You can get new barrels from the CMP for $180 plus S&H. These are Criterion made barrels, and that prices is about $40 cheaper than Midways price. If you want, I can order one through the CMP for you.

The two mystery holes are where a grenade launcher sight was screwed to the stock. If the stock is a WW2 stock, it will most likely be walnut. If it is a Korean War era stock, it can be either walnut or birch. Each stock maker has it own distinctive marks on a stock.

A post war Springfield stock tends to sit off center to the left, as their inletting was often off. Winchester stocks(only made in WW2) have a V shaped inletting directly behind the trigger under the trigger guard. Korean War HRA stocks have a very wide "porch", that area directly behind the receiver heel, and are usually walnut. IHC stocks(are made by Overton, who made many replacement stocks)and will have a distinctive "notch" in the stock near the right rear of the receiver. Most replacement stocks by Overton are Birch. If you got a beechwood stock, that is European made.

If you need tools to rebarrel, let me know.

GarandStocks5.jpg

GarandSotcks2.jpg

If you need tools to rebarrel, let me know.

Thanks, I may take you up on that.

I have some fairly thick aluminum that I was thinking of using to fab a fixture.

I would appreciate it if you could post some photos of your fixtures maybe against a ruler for scale

and / or on the action, so that I could get a good idea of what I need to fab.

Tinker