Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Another Weird One From Dirty Jims Gunwerks

dirtyjim

i'm trying to decide on the stock design for my finned barrel mosin. so far this is what i've come up with. i had a m44 stock that was busted at the wrist so i cut it off everything but the middle. the buttstock is made from two sections of 5/16" rod that go about 3" into the wrist of the stock. i welded a steel plate to the back of the rods to attach a buttplate. the steel plate is slotted to allow the height of the buttplate to be adjustable. right now the buttplate is a wood mock up. the cheekpiece still needs to be covered with vinyl or something & the bi-pod is borrowed from my ar-15, i'm going to install a parker hale type bi-pod thart will mount to a stud in the front of the stock. once i get everything the way i want i'll glass over the wood & repaint it.

finnedbarrelmosinstock1.jpg

finnedbarrelmosinstock.jpg

finnedbarrelmosinstock2.jpg

What a unique and inovative way to put the fix on a busted stock. Looking Good ;)

How the heck do you shoot that without sights? :D

Have to admit I really like it. Really shows your creativity and make me envious of your skills. If you want I line you up with the Chinese merchant that sells the Leupold clone scopes. Even if you don't want a Chinese scope he also sells Harris bipods at a good price. Drop me a private if you'd like his contact info.

az, pm sent on the leupold clone.

i'll pass on the harris bi-pod. if i can find a original parker hale bi-pod at a decent price thats what i'll use if not i'll buy a versi-pod since its basically a cheap reproduction of a parker hale. one of the reasons i want to use a parker hale or a versi-pod is so that i can also swap out the bi-pod for a short forearm that can mount to the bi-pods mounting spud that stick straight out of the front of the stock.

this weekend i'll try getting the rear section of the stock above the pistol grip shaped up a little better.

still have to mount the scope too.

i got a scope and bi-pod on the way, thanks AZ.

Be patient, my orders have arrived as soon as 8 days and as long as 3 weeks. Had one order that the tracking numbers showed two parcels were both mailed the same day. One early in the morning the other later in the afternoon. The parcels arrived several days apart. So far it doesn't appear as anything I've got from him has been opened for custom's inspection. Customs is not very neat the way they re-package things.

• 4 months later...

i think i have the scope mounts figured out. i have a short secttion of picatinny rail that i'm going the mount to the front ring and i'll mount a burris ar-15 cantilever type mount backwards on it. the pictures are just a mock up with the mount being held on with a top secret fastening device.

mosinarmount2.jpg

mosinarmount.jpg

mosinarmount1.jpg

It is just really hard not to like your creation. I can just imagine a hard core mil-surp collector eye-balling your project and seeing his blood boil. How do you like the clone scope? I've got three of them mounted and sighted in and am so far totally pleased with them.

I also bought one of the Chinaman's Walther scopes and his lazar bore sighter for my 22. I did a half-assed sighting-in job on the way home from dove hunting. So far well worth what I paid for it. With temperatures finally topping out under triple digits I hope to put the final touches on it this week or next.

Keep the pics coming as you progress with your Nagant project. After you eliminate the top secret, clandestine scope mount and get it to the range. I'd really like to hear what other shooters have to say about it. I can almost assure you it will be a real attention getter. Others may disagree, especially the purest rifle builder or hard core collector but I see your project as art.

i tried the scope out on my ar-15 and it worked great, i'm going to order one for it pretty soon.

i'm still up in the air on what caliber to make it. i've been thinking about doing a 7x54r since i can cut the chamber with my 6.5vostock reamer then buy a 7mm neck & throat reamer to finish it, but i'm also thinking about doing it in 7mm-08 or 7x57 just to make it even weirder.

i'll do the bolt handle this weekend, it will be very similar to the finn tkiv-85 sniper rifle bolt handle.

Have to admit I really like it. Really shows your creativity and make me envious of your skills. If you want I line you up with the Chinese merchant that sells the Leupold clone scopes. Even if you don't want a Chinese scope he also sells Harris bipods at a good price. Drop me a private if you'd like his contact info.

I'm pretty sure those Leupold clones are illegal to sell.

i mounted the scope and made a new bolt handle. i think i'm going to cut the handle off and make another one thats slightly thinner. this one was made from 1/2" square stock that i tapered the corners off at an angle. i think it would look better if it was mafe from 3/8" stock now that its on the gun. i still have to machine the bolt knob, it will be made from 3/4"aluminum

finnedbarrelmosin2.jpg

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...