Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Receiver Sights On An 1891/30?

Milsurp Bob

I do dig the Mosin Nagants! But with my vision being what it is and not getting better with age I would like to put a receiver sight on my Mosin(s). The original rear sight is to far forward for me to focus on clearly.

Any ideas besides a bent bolt handle for certain?

Yes, years from now I will be using a scope but I do not want to go that way just yet.

Thanks folks!

I do dig the Mosin Nagants! But with my vision being what it is and not getting better with age I would like to put a receiver sight on my Mosin(s). The original rear sight is to far forward for me to focus on clearly.

Any ideas besides a bent bolt handle for certain?

Yes, years from now I will be using a scope but I do not want to go that way just yet.

Thanks folks!

Bob try finding an understanding eye doctor. I found one that wrote me an extra eye glasses RX for my shooting specs. The right lens brings most irons and handgun sights into focus for my aging eyesight. The left is for seeing distances. For long barreled military rifles and scopes I use my everyday progressive bi-focals.

My regular Ophthalmologist I'd been with for years wouldn't cooperate. I found an Optometrist, a Pakistani immigrant working for one of the large chains that was really understanding. He worked with me finding the sweet spot on a follow up appointment. I didn't bring in a gun but he gave me a home work assignment. I had my wife measure the distance from my eyes to the rear sight of a handgun and the distances between the front and rear sights. He was also very helpful selecting the correct grade of safety lenses without being so heavy they'd be uncomfortable. I was a bit reluctant at first following his suggestion of yellow tint but after the first look through the shooting glasses down handgun sights I'm glad I listened to him.

With my RX shooting glasses I can bring all my handgun sights into a sharp focus and many of my rifle sights. The downside is the target is a bit blurry but with practice and just some getting used to, I can use my left eye to paint a target in my mind. Even with the blurry targets my handgun shooting improved dramatically.

the finn 27-66 had a receiver sights but the rifle was severly modified to work with it.

lyman also made a version of their #36 swing away sight for the mosin but those are very hard to find and expensive when you do find one.

i would suggest taking a look at the finn 27-66 and copying what they did.

There was a photo on surplusrifles.com. Redid the bolt handle like the russian target rifle and slightly lowered the right sidewall

at the rear of the receiver. If I remember right he used a lyman 57 and the way he did it the bolt handle cleared the sight stem easily. Frank

• 2 weeks later...

There was a photo on surplusrifles.com. Redid the bolt handle like the russian target rifle and slightly lowered the right sidewall

at the rear of the receiver. If I remember right he used a lyman 57 and the way he did it the bolt handle cleared the sight stem easily. Frank

I am fimiliar with that site (surplusrifles.com). That sound like it would be very helpful. Is it in the Sporterized section.

Thank you for the help!

• 2 weeks later...

I am fimiliar with that site (surplusrifles.com). That sound like it would be very helpful. Is it in the Sporterized section.

Thank you for the help!

Pretty sure it was in the sporterizing section. I carefully looked at his work and concluded that it would be a workable solution. If you look on the russian target rifles, you will notice that the root of the bolt handle is almost dovetailed into the lug on the right side of the bolt body. That and lowering the right sidewall allowed the bolt handle to clear the sight stem on what looked like a lyman 57 which was mounted on the left side of the receiver. Unfortunatly could not figure out which model 57 sight he used.

Frank