Military Firearm Restoration Corner

8Mm Project

Since I am retired, I must have too much time on my hands. I've gotten a wild hair to build a heavy barreled 8mm rifle. Why? Apparently because I can............and because I have some surplus actions.

I found some new surplus Swede 8mm machine gun barrels at Sarco for $29.95(item #MMP022). 24" long, shoulder diameter 1 1/8", muzzle diameter 15/16". Chambered in the Swedish 8mm Model 32 ball cartridge(8x63mm). Muzzle velocity about 2500 fps with 24" barrel and a 218 gr bullet.

Barrels are pre threaded but that would have to be cut off, since the OD is only 7/8". I only wish the barrel was about 2" longer.

I have considering rechambering to 8x68. 200 gr bullet at about 2900 fps. Heavy barrel would keep the recoil down. Interestingly enough, the German Military 198 gr FMJ bullets have a very high BC of almost .600, much higher than any commercial 8mm bullet made here in the US. Which means they would be good long range target bullets.

post-13-12786028156_thumb.jpg

8x63mm Swede......case length.. 2.48", rim dia.... .479", base dia...... .488", COL.. 3.36"

8x68mmS RWS........case length.. 2.65", rim dia.... .510", base dia...... .522" COL.. 3.38"

30-06 brass will not work in the Swede. The Swede is bigger in diameter.

What reciever is to be used for this 8mm?

Will it be a single shot?

Magazine fed repeater will have issues with COAL unless a magnum lenght action is used. As a single shot, sky is the limit on COAL.

A one off custom 8mm heavy barrel sounds way kewl to me. ;)

One can lengthen the magazine, by removing metal from the inside ends of the magazine walls. If one starts with a 30-06 length magazine, which are nominally about 3.40" in length, one should be able to remove enough metal to easily make the box long enough for even the 8x68 RWS. One can take off about .020 - .030" off the front, and about .050 - .060" off the rear.

Interesting website about the 8x63 Swede.

http://www.8x63swedish.pridham.ca/home.html