Military Firearm Restoration Corner

How Much Should I Pay For A Kar.98A Barreled Action?

Vladymere

Fellows,

I made an offer, that was accepted, for a Kar.98a barreled action of $175, shipped. The action would be held for sporter fodder. The barrel, already shortened, would be scrapped, or maybe resold. After making the offer I felt that maybe I am over paying.

The buyer now wants to add a $15 shipping fee making a total of $190 for a small ring model 98 action. Is this to much? They don't come around to often I know. I realize the seller should stick to his original acceptance terms and I will probably push on this but if he won't budge should I pay the price?

What say you all?

Vlad

Vlad, I do alot of things on principle and that doesn't always equate to a financialy sound decision. I would walk in the deal, unless it was something I just had to have right away. If the seller didn't list it properly, or estimate the proper shipping, then the loss should be on him.

Vlad, I agree with rwims.

That sounds like an okay price for the barrelled action. It doesn't sound overly too expensive, but I wouldn't be really excited about it either. If I were excited about it then I might not balk at the extra $15.

Can't tell you what to do, but if it were me and I already had second thoughts about the purchase and then the seller tried to tag me for extra money for shipping that was supposed to be included then I'd probably walk away.

You need to see this http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=178607997

If you want it, I won't bid against you.

I'll check here before I bid.

I'd rather have it than some schmoe that I have no connection to.

If this is something that you've been wanting for a while, I'd rather you have it.

If you're bidding, I hope you win.

If you're not bidding, wish me luck.

Tinker B)

Tinker, That one looks a little rough but certainly worth $39

Vlad, I don't think $190 is out of line for good kar98a action, after all they haven't been in 80 years or so.

Gentlemen,

Thank you all for your advice.

Tinkerfive, Thanks for the heads up on the action on Gunbroker but as Ken98k stated, that one is a bit rough. i will pass on it. Have at it Tinkerfive.

I will tell the fellow that I am dealing with that I will take it at the agreed upon price of $175 shipped. If he insisits on the extra $15 for shipping I will pass.

I would like to have the small ring 98 for sporter fodder but I am already sitting on three model 1910 Mexican Mauser receivers, sans bolts. I also have three Yugo model 24 bolts for the Mexican receivers. I'm really OK when it comes to small ring 98 sporting fodder.

Vlad

I am already sitting on three model 1910 Mexican Mauser receivers, sans bolts. I also have three Yugo model 24 bolts for the Mexican receivers. Vlad

Are you sure the yugo bolts will fit the mex receivers?

Ken98k,

Other than protruding about 1/10" beyond the receiver primary torque shoulder the Yugo bolts fit the Mexican receivers just fine.

I intend to counter bore the barrel breech face to accept the protruding Yugo bolt and cut an extractor groove into the barrel breech face as well. This will result in a truely enclosed cartridge, more so than Mauser envisioned. I have not done this but believe it should work quite well.

Vlad