Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Newest Toy/winter Project

ken98k

I always wanted a jeep but could never afford or justify one. Now I've got two!

2 1/2 years ago, I found this 1990 YJ that needed some work. After a month or so of nights and weekends I've been driving it quite a lot ever since.post-200-128279644137_thumb.jpg

A couple weeks ago I picked up this 1980 CJ5. This will be my main project this winter. Any suggestions for a color?

post-200-128279534539_thumb.jpgpost-200-12827954302_thumb.jpg

I had my eye on a jeep that was parked in a lot on the Spur Highway across from Lucky Raven. I was waiting for the price to go down. Somebody else got it.

My thought was that it would be a good rig to navigate Mystery Creek Road all the way to Chickaloon Bay, so I could molest the ducks and geese that stage there. Maybe next year...

One of the light to medium shades of BRG. I've always thought it to be a nice compromise between an earth tone and sporty.

I was actually thinking about some sort of green.

Regardless of the color, I hope it ends up like this one. This is the end result I'm hoping for

post-200-128296758545_thumb.jpg

BRG in the first three shades has a conifer appearance which would fit right in in Alaska. Other greens may be out of context. The last two are too dark to contrast well with a black top. To borrow a phrase from the 50's - the lighter shades would be "really bitchin'". (I need to stop now or some may begin to question my heterosexuality)

• 1 month later...

Project status check.

I've gotten kind of side tracked on this one.

I found rust and fiberglass patches on the floorboards so borrowed (long term) a welder from a friend.

Having never mig welded sheet metal before I thought it wise to practice on something else.

A year or two ago I was given an old army jeep trailer.

The hitch was bad and the tub was rusted beyond repair.

I built a new tongue and was able to find a better tub. As it turned out the new tub was 3" wider than the original so I cut 3" from the middle and welded it back together.

It came with 2 different types of 16" military wheels so I got a set of 15" civilian rims and tires from a junk yard.

I'm just waiting for a chance to install some fenders now.

I've discovered welding sheet metal is much more difficult than heavier stuff.

post-200-12865070057_thumb.jpg post-200-128650706439_thumb.jpg

• 11 months later...

I always wanted a jeep but could never afford or justify one. Now I've got two!

2 1/2 years ago, I found this 1990 YJ that needed some work. After a month or so of nights and weekends I've been driving it quite a lot ever since.post-200-128279644137_thumb.jpg

A couple weeks ago I picked up this 1980 CJ5. This will be my main project this winter. Any suggestions for a color?

post-200-128279534539_thumb.jpgpost-200-12827954302_thumb.jpg

Ken -

What is the status of this project?

Ken -

What is the status of this project?

I'm still slowly working on it.

Last winter I soon discovered that I could only work a few minutes at a time due to unhealthy smoke (from welding)in my garage.

This summer I've spent a lot of my free time working on a 1974 cj5.

So many projects, so little time.

The 1980 project cj is peeking out of the garage.

post-200-131615025852_thumb.jpg

I was in Alaska in 77.

I gotta say that any man who drives around there in Winter, in a jeep,,,well, my hat is off to ya.

karl

These rigs have pretty good heaters.

In my 1990 YJ, it can get a little uncomfortable on my feet at anything above -30. However, with a soft top it gets cold instanly when you yurn the key off.

• 2 weeks later...