Military Firearm Restoration Corner

To Reblue Or Not To Reblue?

Rogue6

I just acquired a Colt 1917 in .45 ACP. The revolver is in great condition mechanically and the grips are fine, but the finish is just lousy. It's blotchy, a little bit of pitting here and there, etc. But I don't want to damage its value if rebluing would do that. Any opinions? Photo attached.post-6095-12893503725_thumb.jpg

I just acquired a Colt 1917 in .45 ACP. The revolver is in great condition mechanically and the grips are fine, but the finish is just lousy. It's blotchy, a little bit of pitting here and there, etc. But I don't want to damage its value if rebluing would do that. Any opinions? Photo attached.post-6095-12893503725_thumb.jpg

JM2C..............I wouldn't. To refinish this revolver in any way shape of form will diminish its value as a collectable.

As a collector, I personally like a nicely blued firearm. Now if you had a 1917 that you could trace to General Pershing, or some other rare model, perhaps you might think about selling it to a true collector of curios and relics.

Its your gun; if you want to use it as a shooter I see nothing wrong with bluing. After all this is the Military Firearm Restoration Corner, better known as the SPORTERIZING BOARD, and fixin up old guns is what we do around here!

PS, Welcome aboard!

But I don't want to damage its value if rebluing would do that.post-6095-12893503725_thumb.jpg

Re-bluing will do just that, damage it's $$ value but bear in mind the gun's true value is what it is worth you you. If it is a family keep sake, a restoration would certainly enhance its appearance, make you feel better about it but it will lower its actual dollar value. If you want it as a shooter you're much better off selling it to a collector and using the money to buy a modern handgun. My only suggestion is if you decide to re-blue. Spend the extra bux and go for a complete restoration. Polish the metal, try your best to save any markings, new replica grips and typical of most older Colt revolvers you will likely need to have a gunsmith check and adjust the timing.

If your Colt is US Property marked look inside the cylinder and see if there is a ridge for the cartridges to headspace. If there is no ridge you could possibly have an early rare model and I would strongly encourage you not to restore or re-blue it.

• 1 year later...