Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Crazy Christmas Crafting

rustvyper

Well I drew my brother-in-law for our annual Chistmas draw & I've been chomping to get another build going, so I thought to myself, "can I do it?" well that remains to be seen, but I'm gonna try. I just PCS'd to Las Vegas, so I'm in the midst of setting up a new workshop, unpacking boxes & missing obvious things. However, the cold weather has got me raring to try & my brother just got back from Iraq. I know he has no idea, I simply texted him & asked him if he could have any rifle caliber what would it be? Like any good army puke - 308. Well the good thing about moving is that it makes you inventory all the parts you've squirreled away around the house & shop. So I was in luck! I had a A&B barrel in 308 that I got from a guy who was no longer building. I also had a 24/47 that the bolt was already done for me with a butter knife bolt handle by weaver77.

I actually built a similar rifle a few years ago for another buddy - just so happened it was 308 too:

post-3600-129203015582_thumb.jpg

post-3600-129203020015_thumb.jpg

It turned out real nice & I'm doing something similar.

So...

Here we go. I couldn't for the life of me find any of my 6-48 taps so I had to order more (waiting on those) & I had to get a 308 reamer from the co-op. Mike & Brad (who had the go gauges) were kind enough to priority those to me so the adventure has begun. I figure I need to ship it by NLT the 20th to get it to NC by Christmas.

I started by getting all my parts together:

post-3600-129202987002_thumb.jpg

I had pretty much everything already minus the stock. Richards had a bargin bin 48 on sale for $79, it was supposed to come with studs & a declerator pad, but no studs although the pad is nice. It is ROUGH though & I think it'll be the majority of work on the gun.

Step 1: Grind the hump off & drill for weaver #45's & 46's.

post-3600-129202986206_thumb.jpg

I'll have to wait on tapping it until I get my taps in the mail.

Here's What I have left to do in order:

- Chamber the gun

- Sandblast all the parts

- recrown the barrel with a 11 degree crown

- sand off the parts numbers on the floor plate & take it to be engraved with my brother's last name

- sand out all the dings in the trigger guard & action

- fit a shim inside the mag-well to better accomidate the shorter 308 round

- fit the bolt shroud to the bolt & get everything working outside the stock

- fit the action to the stock & inlet the barrel channel & stock for the optima side-safety trigger

- blue the action, the barrel, the trigger guard & the floorplate

- polish the bolt - I'm undecided whether it should all be polished silver or if I should blue the bolt shroud.

- finish the non-showing metal with a ceramic based paint (like inside & outside the mag-well)

- sand & truoil the stock. It's a walnut fancy grade with a rose-wood cap so it should turn out REAL pretty.

- fit it all together & get her cycling right.

- shoot it.

Holy Smokes that's a lot in 10 days. I should get most of it done this weekend, which is good because that stock is gonna take some elbow GREASE!

I'll post pictures randomly until I get this thing done or go crazy!