Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Mauser Model B Restoration

dirtyjim

i picked up this butchered model b in 7x57 cheap.

it needed a new bolt, front sight, stock and barrel band sling swivel.

i just happen to have three bolts & a front sight from my years of scrounging.

this one takes the intermediate length bolt like the turk 1903. i still have to swap the extractor to the new bolt since its matching to the receiver.

the stock was heavily sanded making the trigger guard about 1/8" proud and has burn marks on the butt. i'll build up the stock and make a new fore end then have it duplicated.

the two holes in the front ring will be filled with taper pins to make them practically disappear and i'll either buld up the charger bridge with weld then machine it back to its original shape or graft a new bridge on from one of my junk actions.

once its finished i'll rust blue it.

after all the work i should have around $600-700 tied up in it.

modelbleft.jpg

modelbright.jpg

modelbtop.jpg

new bolt fitted

modelbnewbolt.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Jim, I was just curious, what are you going to do with the scope base holes in the ring? If you weld them up then the markings get screwed up, not that a hole doesn't screw them up.

I wonder if Mike's engraver guy could restore the markings.

Brad

brad, i'm going to plug the holes in the front ring with taper pins then file them off flush.

they should blend in very well like that. the top of the E in mauser is the only lettering that will be affected. i'm going to wait to see how it looks after its plugged before i decide on having the lettering redone.

i'm going to start working on the stock this week, i'm going to add about 1" more LOP & a little more drop to it.

• 2 weeks later...

I think Springfield Sporters has the intermediate bolt bodies. That looks like an alcohol induced bubba attempt! If you anneal those plug screws and tamp them into the holes you should get a tight fit. A little creative peening can blend the letters into the original stampings. I'd add some weld to the rear bridge and re-sculpt those charger bridges. Nice save and good luck with it!

Bob

now that huntin season is over i can get to work on this one.

i have 3 bolt bodies and one complete bolt, so i think i'm covered on intermediate bolts.

i ordered the taper pins & reamer to plug the holes in the front ring & a repro intertwined logo buttplate.

i still need to order the swivel band

i'm replacing the bolt simply because its easier than rebuilding the handle. the handle was ground down to about 1/8" thick to clear a scope.

the ser# was removed when the handle was ground if it was still on the bolt i would have build up the handle with weld then shaped it back.

i started on the stock today.