Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Guess I Won't Be Shooting For A While

Sailormilan2

At least not with my guns. The electronic lock to my CostCo Cannon safe quit working. It has a Lagard lock. The keyboard works just fine, but apparently it is a solenoid that controls a locking bar. That locking bar won't drop and allow the rotating locking cam to unlock. This is a common problem with them.

Well, the part is warrantied lifetime. But it is a 2 hour job($250) to drill it if two holes are needed, and then $95 to install the new lock. New lock is on the way. I went mechanical this time, but the other lasted about 8 years so I guess I shouldn't complain. I have had heard negative coments about Cannon safes, but the safe guy(who came by and gave me an estimate) said it was a decent safe with good fire protection.

I definately did not need this before Christmas. Especially since I had the septic pumped last week. I guess the safe will have to wait till after the first.

At least I can shoot my kid's guns. Their safes all have mechanical combination locks.

That stinks. This is one of the reasons why I want a mechanical safe.

@FC, didn't know John Deere made safes. Have you looked at the Liberty Safes Lowes carries? I've heard really good things about them.

I always wondered about that with those electronic safes. Sorry to hear you're having issues with it. Hope you get it all worked out.

On the plus side, most of the comercial safes are 11ga sheet metal. They should come with a can opener in case things like this happen.

fellas.

We had best keep one rifle and pistol in another area.

If that lock had jammed at a bad time, when bad guys are trying to get into the house, this could have been tragic.

Karl

And then see who gets sued.

Well, fortunately(or unfortunately, depending on your point of view), not all my guns are locked up. Seems I have run out of space. :rolleyes: Plus, my HD weapon is not in the safe. The safe is in the back room, where it would be hard to get to in the event of some unwanted Grinch arriving.

The new lock arrived yeasterday. I opened the box to take a look at it. 3 pieces and a bag of screws, small parts and the small keyed lock that locks the combination dial. The lock itself is marked is made in the USA, in Kentucky. The knobs are marked "Made in China. Right now I am trying to figure out how it goes together. Though I will paying someone to do it.

The safe is in the back room, where it would be hard to get to in the event of some unwanted Grinch arriving.

The biggest Grinch is headed to Hawaii on our dollar, so you can relax a bit, just remain vigilant.

Sorry to hear of your balky safe problem, things like that happen at the worst time it seems.

I like a safe with a good fire rating, because you never know.

Merry Christmas!

Spiris