Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Arisaka 7.7

tinkerfive

Just wondering if a 7.7 Jap can be re-chambered to something .308 like a 308 win or 30-06?

I don't know the case dimensions of the 7.7.

I think that it is a .311 bore but wondering if the rifling is tall enough to grab a .308 bullet.

I know that re-chambering a 7.65 Argentine to 30-06 is iffy. I was just wondering if it would be the

same kind of thing with the 7.7 Jap.

Is the chamber area of the barrel long enough or the magazine for that matter for 30-06?

Could re-chambering one of these Japs to 308 Win make it a handy 'truck' type gun for us here in the U.S. of A.?

As always.

Thanks for your input!

Tinker

Since the case is 58mm vs. 53mm (7.65X53), I'd say the latter is a "no". Look at:

http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

If you are willing to load for the 7.65X53 and 30'06, why not just save the chambering expense and load for the 7.7?

Looking at the dimensions of the 7.7, you should be able to make cases for it from the '06 simply by running the cases through a re-sizing die and trimming. From that point, it should be no harder to reload than any other cartridge.

RCBS and Lee dies are $32.50 and $27, respectively:

http://www.midwayusa.com/browse/BrowseProducts.aspx?pageNum=1&tabId=1&categoryId=8313&categoryString=9315***731***702***8344***

Brass is readily available as well:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/default.aspx?productNumber=1311211320

Now, if you wanted to rebarrel, the 7.7 would be my last choice. There are plenty of .308 take-off barrels out there that would be a dandy on the 7.7 Arisaka.

Back some time ago, it was fairly common to see 7.7 Arisaka rifles rechambered to 30-06. My neighbor had one and so did a hunting buddy. Neither were gun nuts or reloaders, just deer hunters and they were accurate enough to hunt with (at least here in the Georgia woods). I can only imagine the brass was beyond reloadable.

Their rifles were nice enough sporters (in the California Weatherby fashion), but the safety was a pain in the ass to use! (please excuse my language)

I had one years ago that had been converted to 30/06, fired 7.7 handloads came out looking kinda funny. Took it to a gunsmith and found out about the conversion. It shot ok, but I traded it off. I would really suggest buying the dies from RCBS to handload. The 7.7 is a decent enough cartridge and easy to reload. I've killed mule deer with it and I'm gonna try for a bear on Sunday........Scott

As an aside and kind of on topic. Years agoe I read the bio. of the Jap. solider that did'nt surender until the 1970"s. He said that he would find/steal US 30cal ammo and shoot them in his 7.7. They were not very accurate but killed game and a few civilans.

Ralph