Military Firearm Restoration Corner

Carl Gustav Rebarrel Project ---

abob98

Happy new year everyone!

Picked up at my local mom and pop gun shop, an old Carl Gustav 6.5x55. It appears to be in very good shape. Bought it with the intention of making it into something else with a re-barreling project. Wondering what would be appropriate caliber -- would prefer large bore. Was considering 45-90 but not too keen on the bolt face work to accommodate. Another apparently good option would be a 358. Any suggestions?

Seems odd that this action has no safety. And appears its not just missing but no evidence there ever was one. Will try to post pics. The stock has been played with and also someone drilled and tapped for scope bases. There are no iron sights. I assume this is a M96 small ring, there is no safety lug.

Any and all comments/suggestions welcome. Bob.

Here are some pics -- if I manage to get them on here.....

the stepped barrel is 22 inches long, no iron sights. Year stamped on receiver ring is 1900. serial no. 639xx with G.F. prefix -- the gunsmith from what I found on one web site. all parts serial no.s match. Bob.

post-6296-129437288061_thumb.jpg

post-6296-129437277392_thumb.jpg

post-6296-129437281261_thumb.jpg

someone had a side safety trigger on there at one time. see the red paint on the right side of the tang? might still be remnants of it in there. what's wrong with leaving it 6.5x55? great caliber.

9.3x57 looks interesting and quite a few bullets available for reloading. Was hoping for at least something .416 diameter - good supply of available bullets and I also have couple of cast molds. Wonder how hard it would be to blow out the 9.3x57 to .416?

As you guys have pointed out, pressure has to be kept down to safe level...

Thanks for any and all replies......Bob

724 --- the area of the stock with the small red mark --looks like this stock was converted from some other rifle. There is no sign of any safety was attached to the trigger itself.

The model 96 is a small ring action. DO NOT put anything like a .416 on that action. Stay with the .24, .25, .26 calibers, 45,000 cup or less. I have a 1908 CG in 6.5x55 - its a great round that is older than the .30.06. The Scandinavians have used it to take Moose for over 110 years.

If it's a good 6.5 barrel, it might be worth something. Many Turks are wearing 6.5 Swede barrels.

I don't think you'll have any problems getting a buyer. You can at least apply the sale price to your project.

9.3X57 is the largest "commercial" round you'd want to put in it. Anything larger won't have much shoulder on .473 base brass.